Chapter 3 : The One That Got Away

Oliver wakes up again and sees Emily sitting beside him with two guards point their gun at his head. "Finally awaken I supposed, how do you feel, 128?" Emily asked.

Oliver, still drossy but slowly manage to wake and sit on his bed.

"Congratulation 128, you passed stage 2 with flying colours. And seeing you still breathing and alive makes you an excellent candidate for our stage 3. Now as I promised you, I will explain everything to you."

............................................

Several years ago, there was a renowned professor who was doing research on interdimensional travel and beings. Everyone thought he was crazy as there was no proof on his research. But he didn't give up and continued to work on his "project", until he met with the love of his love. Rumours said that after they were married, he stopped working on his passion, and settled down in a village. A few years later, the wife was pregnant and finally had their first born. It was a baby boy. Both of them was excited and happy with it. They lived life like any normal newly parents would. The professor worked as a schoolteacher while the wife stayed at home. After a year, they welcomed they second born, a little girl. But before the girl was born, problem arise. The little boy started to become super active. He cants stay still or focus. He was active 24 hours and was diagnosed with ADHD. The professor also found signs that the boy's ADHD was not a typical ADHD but some kind of rare dispersion of hyper energy coming from his body. As If he had encountered this type of knowledge long ago. He began to re-dive back into his passion, into these interdimensional beings and started to look for the answer. While looking for the answer, he kept his family in the dark. He talked less to the wife and begin to act more and more suspicious. Every day and night, he will be working in the basement of their home, like he was building something. He always locks the doors and never let the wife in on all the things he does. One night, when the pregnant wife was sleeping, she heard a loud bang from the basement. As if a miniature nuclear plant had exploded. He rushes down to the scene after seeing his husband and his little boy was not beside him. When she arrived there, all was too late. Everything at the point of the explosion was vaporizes, leaving only ashes on the ground. In the ashes is where she found her husbands wedding ring and her son's favourite toy. Both of them had vaporised by the explosion and died.

She was devasted. But that wasn't the only thing that happened. Inside a pile of ashes, a dog life creature slowly started to crumble out. It was just small and tiny. Black with red eyes. It has no legs, but it slowly started to move. The wife was in shock. It moved very slowly towards to wife, and the wife terrified tried to escape but was tripped by the rumbles around her. At the very last minute when that mysterious creature wanted to jump on the wife, the rescue team came barging in due to the loud explosion. This had scared the creature to make it vanish into thin air.

Since then, the wife never seen that creature again, but she knows that it may have the answer about what his husband was doing. She never stopped believing that her husband and boy are dead. Thus, being a pregnant woman, she started to work around the clock, going through her husband's research papers and files, learning on what her husband had found out. She even found out tha the creature she saw that day was codenamed "Boredom". A category 10 creature which is small in size, but feeds on living creatures' life energy to grow bigger. There were many more creatures listed in her husband's files, some were less dangerous some were cataphoric. Thus, with all the will she got, she established this establishment called World Balance, WB to find and hunt down these creatures, and eventually find boredom and find the truth about her husband and her little boy.

WB works in the shadow without even the government knowing that they existed. They operated based on fundings from mysterious organizations that the wife had made contact at the early days of WB. The wife also gave birth to the little girl, but as soon as she gave birth to her, she passed away. The little girl was left alone, and until now no one knows exactly where to find her.

............................................

"Well, that's the whole story. Did I answer your question's in your head?" Emily asked.

"Answered my question?? That only gave me a whole lot more questions! And if all of you said was true, what does it have to do with me?" Oliver questioned back in rage.

Emily smiled. She looks at Oliver and says, "Right my bad, I left out the part where you come in"

"You see after the explosion, a mysterious chemical gas was emitted from the scene, and it was vaporizing into the clouds, and you like the whole how rain forms right? So, this gas was distributed by it to all corners of the world, and slowly it kind start to effect some kids that have the right gene in their DNA. It started to evolve them or devolved in some cases."

Emily stands up and looks at the fake window in Oliver's room.

"This gas started to change the kids, some kid woke up and suddenly he could control fire, some kid he could turn invisible. The kind of powers that these kids discover are endless. Yet this becomes havoc when they cant control them. That's why WB had been out in the world kidnaping these special kids. All those missing children cases, 90% are our doing. We cant let the world know that these children existed, or else they might be "taken cared of" by the government."

"But I don't have any of that. Don't have any powers or anything. Why did you have to lock me in?" Oliver questions in rage.

"Calm down Oliver. All these kids are just kids. And they grow and somehow, they die before the age of 30. It is like the DNA wants them to die. So, WB started to experiment on this gas, and we found out that we can replicate the process and make a leader cell out of it. This leader cell would be where the host that is given this gas is able to tap into all the powers that the gas might bring, and even connect to all the other special kids. But we have to find the right host. We experimented on different people, different age groups, different genders, everything"

"No one had gone past stage 1 of our trial, no one until you, 128. You are now in stage 3. Means you are the perfect candidate for our leader cell program. Now you are already connected to the mysterious gas and theoretical speaking are able to manifest these powers. You just have to find your way to tap into them. You are our hope in fighting these interdimensional beings that escaped that night. You are our hope for killing boredom. You are EXZERO."