Chapter Twelve: Intrigue

Jack opened his eyes and sat up to look at Wild, who was writhing in his sleep.

He reached out for his arm to shake him awake, and felt guilty when Wild flinched away. He tried again and smiled as Wild leaned into the touch.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly, getting nothing but a pained grunt in response.

Sitting against the headboard he continued to look at him awkwardly, still at a loss for what to do. He steeled himself and began singing rather self-consciously.

"Dawn won't follow the path we came.

The world you left, it forgot your name.

Stay with me and be mine my love.

Spare my heart the pain..."

He smiled as Wild quieted down and sighed in his sleep. Jack pulled the covers up around them and lay back down again, still looking at him affectionately.

"Tir na nog, oh,

Come beyond the ancient fog

Tir na nog, oh,

Come with me to Tir na nog..."

Jack fell asleep before the next chorus. 

Wild woke up in Jack's arms, tucked under his chin. He smiled to himself and sighed into the embrace.

It was a nice way to wake up. Too nice. He couldn't let himself have this, he couldn't let himself... He sighed, frustrated when Jack's smell filled his lungs.

Jack was so sweet, and already so familiar. He felt like home. Pull yourself together Wild, you don't even know him, he scolded himself. But how I want to.

Jack draped an arm over his waist, and Wild melted.

Well, there's no harm in being friends at least. Good friends, I can't let him go. So selfish. Off to ruin another life I see. I won't let it get to that point, Wild told himself firmly.

He felt Jack yawn and hum softly to himself. A hand ruffled his hair and he looked up to see Jack smiling at him.

"Hello." He said quietly, reaching out for Wild's cheek before tentatively taking his hand back. Wild nudged his face into Jack's hand and let his eyes fall shut, smiling as Jack traced his features with his fingers. Wild kissed at one lightly.

This hurt.

Wild sighed and gave Jack a weak smile as he slid out of the bed. "Come on, lots to do today."

He slipped away, and Jack let his hand hang in the air, wondering if he had ever been there at all. He let his hand fall back as he stared at the ceiling, its white paint grainy and peaked in small mountains.

Love was a wonderful thing. Unless of course, you had to hide it. You wanted to know my secret, Wild? Jack thought as he looked towards the door where Wild had disappeared.

I think it might be you.

A short while later Wild stepped back into the room, fully dressed in a favourite brown suit and apologetic smile.

He sat on the bed beside Jack and nodded at him. "Come on, I've got an idea."

Twenty minutes later, Till woke up with a start as Wild belted out a rousing chorus of "Are Ye Sleeping Maggie?" while Jack played accompaniment on the violin.

They each got a pillow to the face for their trouble, but it was worth it.

Wild snickered and shot her a sidelong glance as she made the bed with miffed precision. "It's only fair."