Amarantha

Night time had fallen for Nesta as she set the dinner table. It was exactly 9:23pm and Nesta was just about done. "Are you finished with the table?" Aunt Lena called from the living room. Nesta would normally roll her eyes but she was already done. "Yes Auntie Lena."

"Finally Carrie replied making her way to the table. Nesta casually brought her foot out causing Carrie to trip. She fell hard. "Ouch! Nesta tripped me!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"DID NOT!"

"DID TOO!"

"BOTH OF YOU ENOUGH!" Aunt Lena's voice ranged across the room, silencing the girls.

Aunt Lena groaned making her way to the table as well. Carrie sat down at the far end of the table while her mother sat on the other end. Nesta sighed and brushed her brow. "Aunt Lena, may I have my break?"

"Have you finished your chores?" Nesta nodded rapidly. Aunt Lena raised her brow. Eventually, she waved her hand in dismissal. "Go on kid. Get outta my sight."

Nesta zoomed her way up stairs, closing the door behind her. For good measure, she locked the door. Nesta turned her head to the window. "Eris?" she called out. She walked towards the window and opened it enough to crawl through. When she did, she looked down and smiled.

Eris was there, reaching out his arms like a parent prepared to catch his child. "Alright, now all you have gotta do is jump."

"Okay." Nesta said, putting one foot on the ledge. Unfortunately, she couldn't keep her balance. "Eris! Watch out!" she cried thinking Eris won't be able to catch her in time. Luckily, Eris caught her with ease. "Woah there! Let's save the flying from broom class okay?" Eris laughed and placed her down. Nesta had no idea what Eris meant by broom class, but she was looking forward to it anyway. "Thanks for the save."

"No problem. Now let's get outta here."

The two of them didn't bother to come back for any of Nesta's things. They only went up the road to a mysterious hut on a hill. It was cloaked with a magic spell so only Eris and Nesta could see. It was a small hut, the door covered with wood while the roof was covered with straw and tree sap. "What's with the straw?" Nesta asked as Eris groaned. "It was on a bet. I prefer not to talk about it."

"And the tree sap?"

"It's to hold it together. Now then, how about some dinner, shall we?" Eris asked, opening the door to his hut. The inside was a lot bigger than she thought. There was a kitchenette with one slave and an oven. Two cabinets that could only fit a handful of food items. A fridge was in the far corner with a few decorative items.

There was also a living room with a TV and a Sega Genesis game consul. The couch was burgundy red with a furry white pillow on top. It also had a stairwell going upwards to a second floor.

Nesta looked around the hut, amazed by the amount of space it had. "Wow. You live here?"

"Partially. Yo, wake up boy!" Immediately, the white furry pillow turned out to be a white furry dog. It had a long snout almost like Pinocchio's nose. The dog barked happily and made his way towards Eris. "Hey boy. Did you have a good rest." In response, the dog licked his face, covering Eris in his own saliva.

Nesta giggle at the attention. "He's so cute." Eris smiled trying to cease his dogs affection. "Oh, you noticed. This is my family's dog, Gabriel. We call him Gabe for short."

"Can I pet him? Please?" Nesta's eyes beamed with cuteness. Eris nodded. "Of course you can. It's better if you pet his snout." Nesta placed her hand on Gabe's snout. The long nose was comfortable on Nesta's hand. "Hi Gabe, you're so cute." Gabe barked happily, licking her hand. Nesta giggled. "Hey, that tickles."

Nesta and Eris heard a soft growl. Nesta blushed and covered her tummy. "Sorry, my tummy's really hungry." Nesta laughed nervously. Eris walked over to the kitchen. "Don't worry, I have some leftover fried chicken from KFC. A bit fattening but it's better than nothing right?" Nesta gave him a small nod and continued to pet Gabe. "Thanks. I'll eat anything as long as it's not green."

-------------

Indeed she did. Nesta ate her entire plate with quick pace and abietite. She loved the fried chicken that Eris saved in the fridge (even though the chicken was not real).

Nesta was in the process of finishing up her last chicken bone when Gabe placed his jaws on the other end of the chicken bone. "Gabe, let go!" Nesta said as Gabe gulped down the bone along with a burp. Nesta frowned at the happy dog. "You're lucky you're cute." she replied folding her arms.

"Dog giving you trouble?" Nesta turned to see Eris with a towel wrapped around his hair. She was grateful it wasn't around his waist. Nesta groaned in agreement. "You never told me he was a fan of chicken. Even fake chicken."

"He'll eat anything." Eris replied taking off the damp towel and placing it on the back of the chair. "So, how do you feel?" Eris's tone grew serious. Nesta sighed. "Honestly, confused. Excited, but mostly confused. I have a tone of questions. One in particular is how can someone like you remember my birthday? I don't even know you." Eris nodded in understanding. "Well you see, I...used to know your parents."

Nesta's full attention was on Eris. Her parents. Her mother. Her father. "You knew them?" she asked only earning a simple nod in return. "What were they like?" A moment pass before Eris spoke. "Your mother was a restless student under my father's care. She'd always find an excuse to run off with her friends or simply fly around Hogwarts just to check out the scenery. I guess that's why she fell in love with your father." Eris smiled at the last part.

Nesta wished she could share that smile. A smile with knowledge of a loved one. If only she had that memory of her own parents. "Do I...look like her?"

"Your mother you mean? Every bit kid." Eris patted her head gently. Nesta, smiling sweetly, placed her hand on top of Eris's. Though as always, her smile had a curfew. Nesta frowned a bit at Eris. "Um, Eris?"

"Yeah kid?"

"Do you know...what happened to them? My parents?" Eris sighed this time, Gabriel resting his snout on his knee. Eris rubbed its head. "Yes, I do. Your parents were attacked and killed."

Nesta heart skipped a beat. "Killed?! By who?" she cried, her voice eager to know the truth. All her life, her aunt had told her that her parents died in a car crash. Not that she ever believed that! "A woman named Amarantha. A ruthless killer. Known as the Lady of the Mountain. Your parents were spies secretly implanted in her army. When her plan was discovered, the High Lords over threw her. We thought she was gone for good.

"But then, I received a distress signal from your father. I rushed over but...your father was on the floor covered in dry blood. He was already gone. I heard your mother screaming from your bedroom. I rushed upstairs to face Amarantha herself. She was holding your mother by the hair and you in one of her arms. She was smiling deviously at me. I didn't know what she did until she threw you towards me. I didn't think. I just moved and caught you in my arms without a second thought.

"When I looked to see if Amarantha was still there, I found something much worse. Your mother's dead corpse. I was too late to save them Nesta. I'm so sorry." Eris's eyes were filled with sadness, regret, and shame.

Nesta jumped onto the table and hugged Eris. "It's okay Eris. It's okay. Thank you for telling me the truth." Nesta meant it. She waited so long for someone to tell her what really happened to her folks. She owed Eris a lot.

Eris hugged her back. "Aw kid. It I had the chance to do it all over again, I would." Nesta opened her mouth to respond but a yawn escaped instead. Eris smirked. "I guess that means it's bedtime." Eris hoisted the girl up and retreated upstairs to his room, Gabe following close by.

Eris placed Nesta gently onto the bed. "Sleep tight kid. You have a full day tomorrow." Eris said, pulling the covers on top of Nesta. Nesta drifted off to sleep as Eris watched peacefully at Hogwarts' new witch.