Hufflepuff Test

The girls ran down the new hallway to the next room. Once they couldn't hear the wings anymore, they began to relax. "That was close."

"I couldn't agree more," Nesta replied to Gwyn as Emerie pushed through a pair of double doors.

The doors reveal a dark room. Not as dark as the Devil's Snare, but dark enough to send a bad vibe. "I don't like this," Emerie said as she walked in first. Nesta came in next, then Gwyn.

The doors closed to reveal that the room was filled with large statues. They looked like knights. Some of them even looked like horses. "It looks like some sort of graveyard." Nesta theorized.

Gwyn walked ahead, recognizing the statues. "It's not a graveyard...it's a chessboard."

Like magic, the room filled with light. The girls can see that Gwyn was right. It was a chessboard. A huge one too. The black pieces were behind them while the white ones stood in front. "There's the door!" Emerie announced. She, Gwyn. And Nesta jogged towards the door, but they were blocked by the white chess guards. The guards raised their swords at the ready, causing the girls to back away. When the girls were a comfortable distance away from the swords, the guards yielded and placed their swords away.

"Looks like we have to lay to get to the room," Gwyn said, taking a deep breath. She knew this game like the back of her hand. You can thank Clotho for that. "Okay, guys. I know how to play, but you have to listen to me." Emerie and Nesta nodded. "Nesta, take the Bishop's Square."

"Got it." Nesta declared, moving to the empty square. "Emerie, you'll be our queen. Head over to the right."

"On it," Emerie said, doing as she was told. "What will you be?" Emerie asked as Gwyn hopped onto a horse. "I'm gonna be a knight."

"So...what now?" Nesta asked.

"White gets the first move. Then the game begins." Gwyn said with a smirk while cracking her knuckles.

On cue, the first white piece moved to the middle of the chessboard. It was one of the knights that blocked them earlier. "Um Gwyn...this isn't going to be like Wizards Chess, is it?" Emerie asked nervously.

Gwyn pointed to one of her black chess guards. "You, there! D-5!" The guard did as it was told and moved to D-5. The guard was next to the white one, giving the white guard the perfect advantage to strike. And it did. The white guard used its two swords to strike down the black piece. It shattered into pieces, shocking the poor girls.

Gwyn gulped. "Yep. That's exactly what this is."

------------------------

The game was brutal. The white pieces have freaked the girls out in more ways than anyone could imagine. But it didn't stop Gwyn from attacking head-on. She forged ahead like the knight she was.

However, the white queen was persistent. She would not go down without a fight. Gwyn secretly respected her for it. This was the most brutal game of Wizard Chess she's ever played. But even she had her limits.

The queen had taken down all of the knights, bishops, and guards. Well, all except one.

Nesta noticed this before Emerie did. "Wait a second. Gwyn, what're you doing?" Nesta asked already knowing the answer. She wasn't as good as Gwyn and Catrin, but she knew enough to know what Gwyn was planning.

Gwyn nodded in clarification. "That's right, Nes. When I make my move, the queen will take me. Then you shall check the king."

"What's going on!?" Emerie asked this time, her facial expression reading fear and confusion. Nesta answered. "She's going to sacrifice herself!"

"No! Gwyn, don't! We promised Catrin that we'd all come back in one piece!" Emerie pleaded with her.

Gwyn shook her head. "No guys. We have to stop Tamlin. And Nesta has to be the one to do it."

"What!?" Nesta screamed.

"Yes, you, Nesta. Not me. Not Emerie! You!" Gwyn declared.

Gwyn was right. Amarantha was the one who hurt her family. Who killed her parents. Who made a living hell for everyone. And Nesta is the only one who can stop it.

Nodding in understanding, Nesta watched as Gwyn had begun to make her final stand. "Knight to H-3!"

Gwyn the knight moved 4 spaces from the queen. Almost in front of the king. "Check." Gwyn whispered. The queen wasted no time moving towards the water nymph. Hoisting her sword, the queen punctured the horse, causing Gwyn to fall off and hit her head. She fell to the floor unconscious.

"NO!!!!" Nesta called out in distress. Emerie tried to walk over but Nesta stopped her. "Don't move. We're still in the game, Em." Emerie nodded.

Nesta walked toward the king and looked at it, straight in the eye. "Checkmate."

The king's sword fell to the floor. The game was over. The girls won.

"Gwyn!" Emerie yelled as she and Nesta ran toward their friend.

Emerie checked her pulse, grateful that she was still alive. "Take her to the infirmary. Catrin's probably still waiting for us." Nesta ordered as Emerie nodded. Nesta turned to go to the door, but Emerie placed a hand on her shoulder. "Be careful, Nesta Archeron." Emerie said. Nesta only nodded as she raced to her goal.