C H A P T E R 4 2

— • —

Chapter 42

The sound of crickets resonated outside the half-opened window of the abandoned hut. Lian Ren groaned at the sound as his ears slightly twitched. He moved from his left, then moved to his right, sensing a fragment of smooth fabric brushing onto his open chest and a warm breath blowing on his neck. Lian Ren slowly opened his eyes and blinked three times, seeing Shao Ling in a deep slumber in his arms. It seems as if Shao Ling also sensed that he had woken up. Shao Ling also opened his eyes and drowsily lifted his gaze at him.

Lian Ren couldn't hide the curve of his smile on his lips as he stared down and greeted his Shizun, "Good morning, Shizun."

"Mmn," Shao Ling responded, slowly standing up, then getting out of bed as he rubbed his eyes.

Lian Ren also stood up on the bed, watching Shao Ling slowly sit down on the chair and glance at the crickets outside the window. The smile on Lian Ren's face still hasn't disappeared as he spoke to Shao Ling, "Do we have to get ready now, Shizun? Or do you want to take a stroll around here first?"

Shao Ling answered in a low voice, "We must go to the sect as soon as possible."

Lian Ren secretly face-palmed, but at the same time, he still understood that Shizun is worried about his disciples, who are now probably wondering why he still hasn't found them yet. "Alright. Let's collect our belongings here."

They were both about to fix their belongings when the cracked door of the small hut was slammed open, and a figure of a man appeared and spoke, "It seems that both of you are awake."

Lian Ren and Shao Ling, who unsheathed their weapons, were slightly bewildered by the man, who appeared to realize that he meant no harm. The man who was covered in dust and was illuminated with the bright ray of the sun walked forward and closed the door, completely revealing his appearance.

The man had no hair and was wearing monk clothing with gigantic red prayer beads embedded in his chest, posing a prayer stance in front of them. The man was nearly old. However, his face still remained youthful as years and decades passed by. The old monk let out a laugh and spoke, "I apologize for my uninformed greetings, but I am an ally, not an enemy."

Lian Ren and Shao Ling looked at each other for a while, wondering if they should let their guard down in front of the monk. Shao Ling initiated letting down his guard, and Lian Ren followed after him. Shao Ling glanced at the monk and bowed as a sign of respect. "Greetings to you. I am Shao Ling, Sect Master of the Yun Sect. May I know what you meant by being an ally? Is there something we don't know about?"

Lian Ren also greeted me shortly and bluntly asked, "Who are you? I haven't seen your face in any of the sects and peaks I've been into."

The monk glanced at both of them with a small smile. It was as if two wild cats were snarling at him as the monk looked at the two. "The Peaks and Sects have been so chaotic lately since I've heard the rumors that the two of you disappeared at the Rising Star Cultivation Battle."

Lian Ren observed the monk as he spoke. He wears monk clothing, but he doesn't seem to be very religious. It makes him suspicious that a monk suddenly showed up in their house when the traces that he found last night were that the person who's been here left many hours ago.