𝐏𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍

THEIR second day in Mexico was already a disaster

THEIR second day in Mexico was already a disaster. A simple misunderstanding led to Johnny's van being confiscated. It was moments like these where Katherine regretted not spending more of her time becoming fluent in Spanish in order to avoid these types of incidents. "The guy at the impound lot said we need $4,000 pesos to get the van back. That's like a million dollars." Johnny grumbled. "It's $200 but still we only have about half of that." Robby sighed. "And they apparently don't accept American credit cards." Katherine huffed. "Yeah well, we're not going to find Miguel without the van." Johnny deadpanned. No kidding. Katherine thought to herself, racking her brain for ideas on how they could get their hands on that much money in such a short period of time.

"That's a Red Savina," Robby's voice broke Katherine out of her thoughts. Her gaze fell upon a crowd of people huddled around a table. It looked as if they were placing bets on who could ingest the spiciest chili. "That thing will burn a hole right through you." Robby recited while Katherine and Johnny simply stood there completely dumbfounded. "Mom and I watch Hot Ones on YouTube." He confessed. "This is our shot to get back on track. If you see me about to choke, one of you cover my mouth so I don't spit it out." Katherine grimaced at his idea. "Wait," Robby held him back. "I'll do it." Johnny shook his head. "No. Robby, I got us into this." Robby shrugged. "Like you said, this is our best shot. I know I can win." Before Robby could walk off, Katherine grabbed his arm.

"Robby, are you sure you want to do this? There's a major difference between watching Hot Ones and actually doing it." She wailed. "I got this." He pressed giving her hand a reassuring squeeze before sitting at the head of the table and placing his money in the middle. Katherine swore she was going to pass out simply just watching Robby consume chili after chili. His face was beet red, his eyes completely bloodshot, sweat dripping down his forehead. "That's my boy!" Johnny cheered as Robby demanded they bring him another chili. "Give me the hottest pepper you got." Everyone around them started whispering amongst one another. "He's not serious is he?" Katherine whispered to Johnny.

"El dragon!"

Robby's opponent shouted fiercely making the entire crowd gasp. Now that definitely didn't sound good. Katherine instantly noticed that Robby's shoulders deflated, yet he managed to keep his composure. Out of her peripheral vision Katherine watched as someone Brough out a tiny glass jar that contained two bright red peppers. "We're going all in. Todo!" Johnny announced confidently slamming their remaining money on the table. "You got this," Johnny assured Robby. "I'd bet on you any day of the week." Robby was quick to reach for the pepper, taking it between his palms. Everyone watched as he let out a nervous exhale before shoving the pepper in his mouth. His brows furrowed, his fists clenched tightly, and even more, sweat dripped down his forehead as he struggled to swallow.

Everyone watched him chew with anticipation. Katherine was nervously gripping onto Johnny, who shared her concerned expression. After what felt like hours go by, Robby unclenched his fists and exhaled. The crowd gasped in surprise seeing as Robby had done it. His opponent in response reached for the chili and shoved it into his own mouth, giving Robby a smirk. However, as soon as he realized how spicy the pepper was in comparison to the previous ones he couldn't help but give in and reach for the glass of milk. "Yes!" Johnny shouted in victory. Before he or Katherine could congratulate Robby's opponent spat out the milk which now covered all three of them. "I'm definitely gonna vomit." She grimaced allowing Robby to guide her out of the market.