Chapter 31

Even if I hadn't been crying, I'd have had no idea where I was going. I just kept sprinting until I ran out of steam, which was quicker than I'd have liked seeing as I'd cancelled my gym membership, then settled for walking quickly.

I'd known Nye had the power to hurt me, but I'd had no idea it would happen so soon.

How could I have been stupid enough to think he genuinely cared? Sophie and Maddie were both right—Nye had the handsome face, the hot body, and the decent job, all of which put him way out of my league. Mother might have wanted me to aim high, but right now, I couldn't even raise the gun.

What did I have to offer? A tumbledown cottage and a stalker. No wonder he thought I was worth laughing about.

Too late, I realised I'd left my bag in the kitchen at Blackwood. Not only was I hopelessly lost, I couldn't call a cab, and even if I managed to wave one down, I wouldn't be able to pay the driver.

Another block, and my tears of embarrassment and devastation turned to fear. Half of the street lights didn't work, and judging by the boarded-up house next to me, it wasn't such a good area. I passed by the entrance to a narrow alley and jumped as a plastic bag blew across in front of me. A straggly bush rustled in the breeze, stretching my nerves to breaking point.

Where was I? I looked for a street sign, but somebody had attacked it with graffiti. A dog barked in the house opposite just as a shadow flitted across the street. Was somebody there? I squinted into the gloom, but ominous shapes blurred together. The Big Bad Wolf. The Wicked Witch of the West. Bloody Edward and bloody Becki Harris.

I kept walking, my ballet pumps squeaking on the cracked paving slabs. A crowd of youths passed on the other side of the street, laughing and joking, and a couple stared across at me. Look away, Olivia. I kept my head down to avoid eye contact. As their shouts receded, the loudest sound was my own breathing, a rasp of desperation in the near darkness.

How could I get back? Even if I turned around, I doubted I'd remember the way, and I didn't want to see Nye in any case. A cat shot out of the shadows a foot away, and an involuntary squeal escaped my lips. Okay, facing Nye might have been the better option.

Footsteps sounded behind me, and I walked faster, on the verge of running now. But to where? The quiet slap of rubber soles on the pavement kept coming, and I glanced behind as a man with a dog walked under a street light. Out for an evening stroll? Or something else?

I was about to say "to hell with it" and break into a sprint when a car sped past and braked sharply in front of me. Nye leapt out of the back, and before I could instruct my feet to sprint, he'd grabbed my arm.

"Liv, what the fuck happened? Jannie said you shot out of the building like the fires of hell were after you."

Oh, thank goodness! Nye was here.

Actually no, this was terrible.

"You think I'm a joke," I blubbed, tears flowing again. Not that they'd ever really stopped.

"What? Why would I think that?"

"You saw that horrible video. The one of me at the cabaret."

He started laughing. "Babe, that video was hilarious."

"See, you're laughing."

He took both my hands in his. "When I saw that clip, I realised I'd finally found a woman who knew how to let her hair down and have a good time. The girls I dated in the past would have a single dry martini then switch to water to avoid extra calories, and they wanted to be in bed by ten so they could make their early morning spa appointments. I watched you, uh...sliding...and saw someone I wanted to get to know."