Chapter 1 - A Memory

“Mother, no, no, please don’t go! Don’t leave me!” the little girl cried.

The dying woman breathed, “I love you,” and then closed her eyes for the last time.

I fled the movie theatre. 

I leaned against the wall and sighed. That one short scene had caused so many horrible memories to flood my thoughts. I remembered, oh, I remembered. It was a moment that changed my life forever.

I completely understood how that little girl felt; I was once in her shoes. Little me sobbing by the hospital bed, pleading for my mother not to go, hearing the terrible high-pitched drone of the heart monitor, listening to my mother’s final words.

I was crying now, unstoppable tears streaming down my rosy cheeks and my shoulders were shaking uncontrollably, but no one would care. No friendly coworker was going to walk by and speak soothing words to chase the mournful tears away. No imaginary, sympathetic boyfriend was going to appear and wrap his arms around me, closing off the feelings of melancholy. I was simply another person living in this cruel, cruel world.

I peeked between my shielding, slim fingers and through the velvety, deep red drapes to make sure no one was coming. I couldn’t dare to have my boss see me in this awful state for… I loved him.

I could only hope and dream that Michael loved me in return, which wasn’t exactly worth hoping for because after all, he had a girlfriend. It had actually been my fault that they were together in the first place. Stupid me, stupid me, I thought.      

A soft, deep voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts, “Ariel, is that you?”

It was Michael.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note from the Author:

On the right, is "Movie House" by Edward Hopper. This is the current setting. :)