• Chapter 7 • Hidden lovers •

-Are you sure that you don't want to come?

Matt was almost ready, just deciding between a green or red jacket, as Isabelle stared from the door.

-What I can't believe is that you are leaving. What about mom and dad? They are not going to like this at all.

-Do I seem worried?

In fact, the hazel-eyed boy was more concerned about the clothes he was taking with him that about his parents' possible telling off.

-You never seem...

Izzy crossed her arms, looked away.
She thought that maybe, Matt could understand her, since they shared similar personalities. But not even Alec was rejecting their new mission, so how could she expect Matt to listen to her?
Besides, the boy just thought Isabelle was mad for no reason, that she would overcome it sooner or later.

-I love you too. Take care.

And after taking his bag, Matt went to Isabelle, kissed her forehead and left the room.
He firmly believed they would return to the Institute soon and that there was no need of dramatic goodbyes.

Simon was not that convinced and as soon as Matt left, he approached the girl.
Since last day at the training room, they haven't talked, and he hated that pressure on his chest.

-Iz...

-You're going too... -She was leaning against the door, embracing herself, eyes on the floor.

-I have to...

-No, you don't...

-It's what I want... I want to help Ten... -Despite his nervousness, he placed himself in front of her. His shaky hands on her arms. -Talk to me, Isabelle...

-I'll do it when you realise this is crazy... -Finally, her eyes were on his.

For a couple of seconds, it was just their eyes talking to each other, scanning every trace of them as if Simon was searching a way to unlock Isabelle's heart.
It was probably the first time she closed herself up in such a way.

-If you don't trust Ten, it's okay... But trust me, please... -He spoke with soft voice, almost begging for something that wouldn't happen.

-Go, Simon...

-I don't wanna go like this... Without talking, without you kissing me...

He delicately placed a strand of her silky hair behind her ear, then his hand caressed her cheek as he came closer to softly press his lips against hers.

Like a statue, Izzy refused to move, to kiss him back even if her body ached for it. Her nails were already scratchimg her own arms and her heart shouted for freedom.

When the girl thought she had enough courage to open a small fissure in her walls, Simon was already parting.

-I love you...

"I know" was what Simon expected her to reply, but his princess Leia was not willing to say it, so, as Han Solo, the boy took his hands off her and left the room, slowly in case she decided to go to him.
However, Isabelle just stayed still, her fingers touching his own lips as if her boyfriend was there.
Being so vulnerable, so unable to scape her pride broke her soul and soon, regrets came to accompany her.

...

Fortunately, Harry came up with a good excuse for almost all of them leaving the Institute, but since he was so bad at lying, Jace took care of it.

-Yeah, some other faeries are waiting for her in London, we will take her there and we'll come back. -It even seemed like the truth, mostly because Jace's confidence and calm voice tone. -Isabelle is staying with Clary in case you need something.