Chapter 1- [ awakening ]

"Ow."
"Meow."

Wait, what the fuck?

Last he checked, he knew how to speak Japanese like any other person in this country. But when he opens his mouth to pronounce the syllables, what comes out is the high pitched mews of an animal.

More specifically, a cat.

Is this what happens when you stop paying attention in school? Regress back into animals? But despite not being attentive in class, he's pretty sure humans were related to monkeys, not cats.

It's weird. When he looks around, It feels as if someone had turned down the saturation of colors in real life. If he blinks and squints a little, he can see the colors more normally. Huh.

Maybe he's sick. Yeah, he's probably delirious of a fever right now and the meows are probably him gasping and groaning for help- And maybe he needs to go to the optician to get his eyes checked. All the late night riding probably did something.

Convinced with his own theory, Manjiro 'Mikey' Sano tries to sit up, and conversely, discovers that he cannot.

First of all, he seems to have been laying sideways, not upwards like he had initially thought. Second, he seems to have lost his fucking wrists.

Or at least, they certainly don't work like how they used to.

"AAAUGH WHAT THE FUCK MY HANDS?!" At least, that's what he tried to scream. What comes out instead is a cat's panicked yowling. Right after his outburst, something heavy slams into the side of his body, followed by soft mews.

Miraculously, while the meows still sound like meows to him, Mikey can understand what the sounds were trying to convey. Like his brain suddenly installed a cat-language translator.

To be precise, the words were "Mikey, shut up".

Someone knew his name.

A cat knew his name.

Why does a cat know his name?

Mikey strains his neck upwards in an effort to look around him, and realizes that he is surrounded by cats.

Around twelve cats lay knocked out near him on a rather dirty floor, some piling on top of the others. The one that kicked him was visibly larger than the rest, and had an odd patch of long hair on the top of its head. A black pattern-like stripe peeks out from beneath the fur.

The cat looks suspiciously like Ken-chin, Mikey thinks to himself. Right down to the tattoo.

He looks at his own body, which seems to have become a loaf of fur. Long, silky golden fur shimmered, with some faint stripes of a darker brown that created a pattern along his body.

So he did turn into a cat. Thank goodness it wasn't just his brain, that would've been so weird. A human speaking cat.

"Mroww..?"
"Where..?"

Mikey notices a calico cat struggling to lift its head. Strange thing is, the cat was mostly purple.

...That's probably Mistuya! The only person he knew with a full head of natural purple hair was him. What kind of normal cat would be purple?

(Mikey's long given up with the mystery of Mistuya's hair. His entire family seems to have the same color, without the help of hair dye. Funny how genetics works. Then again, his vice-captain seems to have blue hair naturally too...And the fourth division captains. And Sanzu. Wait, why do his friends have the DNA of rainbows?)