Chapter Forty

September
A Few Days Later

    Since the night with Sabrina where they had found out about their news, both girls gone to the doctor early that morning. It was confirmed they both were pregnant, Sabrina was about two weeks ahead of Haley. Sabrina seemed to still be in disbelief and hadn't quite moved out of the shocked phase yet. Neither of them had told Rooster or Jake yet, they had just gotten back the day before. Haley was talking to Rooster that evening though. She was finishing up the preparation for her next group at Top Gun. She had filed what she needed to about the pregnancy that morning, knowing she had to disclose that. She was insulted at a question they asked, because she knew they wouldn't be asking a man the same thing.

    "Hey," Haley said, looking up as Blaze walked in. They had new pilots coming in the morning for Top Gun. "What's up?" He had been doing okay since his accident in December. He had made a full recovery, he hadn't had any lasting injuries. Nothing to be concerned about, especially not nine months later.

    "Noah got out, served his time." Blaze told her. "But before you panic, he's left North Island."

    Haley was surprised but not at the same time. They had known he wouldn't serve much. He'd had a good lawyer and managed to weasel his way through the system. Typical. "How do you know he left?" She asked.

    "I was informed because of his probation." Blaze answered. "I guess out of precaution so I'd know since I was involved in what happened. But he's gone. It sucks he got out so soon but we can finally move on. I'm not spending any more time thinking about that piece of shit."

    Haley agreed, she didn't want to devote any time to him either. She felt like this was finally over, she didn't have the sinking feeling she'd had the previous times. "Thanks for letting me know." She told him. "Here's the list for tomorrow if you want to look it over." She added, handing him their class roster.

    "I feel older every time we get a new one of these and see their ages." Blaze joked and Haley laughed. It felt that way sometimes. They were still younger though for instructors.

"You okay that your sister is on the roster?" Haley asked. Willa Kazansky was one of their incoming pilots. She had not been in the Navy very long and was several years younger than Blaze.

    "I'd probably prefer her not to be flying at all, but who am I to judge?" Blaze answered with a shrug.

    "Why's that?" Haley asked. She'd met Willa a few times over the years. She had a very different personality than Blaze, she felt like Willa was a little wilder.

    "I don't want anything to happen to her. My mom hates it but she's an adult. She finished the academy and has done her part. So she's entitled to fly." Blaze answered. "I still don't always think she's mature enough but maybe she will surprise me." Willa had been in the area some, when she could be. She was close with her and Blaze's mom, especially after their dad died.

    They walked for a few minutes together talking before parting ways. Haley arrived home a little while later with Nick. He was occupied in his playpen. Haley was watching him and it was amazing how he never got bored. He seemed to find interest in so many things, it was always intriguing to watch him explore his toys. She had a wrapped present on the couch for Rooster. She had almost put it with Nick, but she knew he'd definitely have wanted to tear it open.

    Rooster came home a little while later. She knew he'd been spending the day with debriefings from the mission. She was glad it had went smoothly. That wasn't always the case, but thankfully it had been. It was always a relief when everyone made it back safely. He greeted Haley when he came in and she jumped up into his arms and kissed him. He laughed. "What's that for?" He asked her, holding her up underneath her thighs. She had her legs wrapped around his waist.