Chapter 24-Finale

During week ten of The Program, our instructors threw us a curveball.

On physical training day, we were instructed to sit evenly spaced throughout the large room. Then Masumi, Madara, and Kabuto slowly passed out metal trays to each of us, and when I was handed mine, I nearly dropped it onto the ground in disbelief. The only things on the tray were a small knife and a dead rabbit. Bile rose in my throat as I studied its lifeless eyes.

"Today, you will learn how to prepare a rabbit for consumption."

We were all sitting on the ground, so we looked up at Orochimaru as he gave vocal instructions. I didn't have time to dwell on my disgust because he was teaching so quickly. With shaking hands, I gingerly picked up the knife and did my best to follow instructions.

A few participants threw up during the process, but I was proud that I wasn't one of them. At the end of the training, I felt much more knowledgeable but still felt terrible for the poor rabbits sacrificed for the sake of The Program.

The day after that, another new training session occurred. We were sent to our M.A.T. rooms, but instead of torturing one another, we were told our goal was to learn how to treat a wound. They made us take turns. After stabbing an injury into their abdominals, we were taught how to treat the wound best if we didn't have access to emergency services.

For the rest of week ten and throughout week eleven, we learned numerous survival skills like building a shelter, starting a fire, and making animal traps. During these weeks, we continued our surveillance and stole supplies when possible. The closer we got to the end of The Program, the tenser the atmosphere became.

Madara told me during one of my byakugan check-ups that the parents were getting close to discovering our new location. I wondered how he'd handle that type of threat, but he assured me my concern wasn't warranted.

After the first dream with Naruto in it, I had similar ones every other night. I never let myself take advantage of it and simply tried to keep him at bay because the Naruto my subconscious had created wanted to kiss me and more.

Facing him while awake became much more complicated because I struggled to separate what was real and what was a dream. The boy in question didn't act out of the ordinary but continued to treat me like a friend. If he noticed my newly diagnosed crush on him, he didn't mention it, and I tried my best to control my emotions.

On the third day of the last week of The Program, the instructors entered the dining area near the end of dinner. Madara paused once the room became silent before smiling proudly, "You've all come a long way in the past twelve weeks, and I couldn't be more pleased with your progress."

His grin widened slightly as he continued, "The time has come to explain how to win the prize money."

Everyone around me perked up, but I narrowed my eyes. How far were they willing to take the lie that there was any money to win at all?

"Starting first thing tomorrow, we'll conduct a series of competitions that will slowly disqualify participants until only one is left standing. That person will be the winner."

As he said, the following day began a series of intense trials. On Thursday, we had hand-to-hand combat fights that cut the number of participants still eligible to win in half. Those that were disqualified weren't sent home but were instead returned to their regular training.

More members of Group B remained than Group A, but combined, only sixteen of us remained. I surprised myself by making it into that group of sixteen. During the fights, I fought one of the girls in Group A, who hooked up with Kisame and bested her easily.

Those who remained in the running were: me, Sakura, Ino, Matsuri, Tenten, Temari, Kankuro, Gaara, Kiba, Naruto, Neji, Sasuke, Sai, Suigetsu, Hidan, and Kisame.