Thirteen {Little Do You Know}

"How do I look?"

I tore my eyes from my laptop screen and stared at my best friend with a blank expression. He was wearing a pair of dark black dress pants and a baby blue tux that looked a size or two too small. I sighed, pulling the sleeve of the tux until he got the hint and took it off.

"What's wrong with it?" He questioned, his eyes following me as I crossed the room and grabbed a plain black t shirt and jeans from his closet and dresser, thrusting them into his arms.

"You look like you're going to a wedding, not a date, buddy." I responded, reaching up and messing up his gelled back hair so it was messy.

He eyed me skeptically before stripping out of the clothes he was wearing and changing into what I'd put into his arms. He peeked his head into the bathroom, then walked back out, shaking his head. "I look the same."

"That's because you're best when you're yourself, Ian." I said without looking up.

He shut my laptop so I was forced to look at him. "That was horribly corny, Char. No wonder you don't have a boyfriend."

"I'd like to point out that this is your first date in years, Sebastian." I reminded. "And I don't have a boyfriend because you scare off any guy who shows even a little interest in me."

He grabbed his jean jacket from the closet, checked his reflection, then threw a look over his shoulder at me. "You coming?"

I dragged myself off the bed and followed him down the stairs, only smiling when I grabbed Ian's shoulders. "I present you all with the totally dateable Sebastian Cruz."

My brothers and sister, Stephanie, and Ian's parents all laughed at the joke. Ian didn't look so amused.

"So funny." He flicked my shoulder.

I took both shoulders in my hands and forced him to look me in the eyes. "Remember what we talked about?"

"No means no. Only kiss her if she gives consent first. And call if I have any questions." Ian recited perfectly back to me with a bored look. Mrs. Cruz and Stephanie stifled a laugh behind me as I took my phone out and snapped a quick picture of Ian. He tried to snatch my phone from me, but I shoved it into my back pocket and gave him a gentle shove toward the door.

"You better get going. You don't want to pick her up late on the first date. That's a big no-no."

He sighed and opened the door, kissing my forehead before he disappeared down the steps. I felt Mrs. Cruz come up behind me and I leaned into her, holding a hand over my shoulder as we watched Ian get into his car and flip us off out the window.

"Our little boy is so grown up."

*

I'd only stepped out for a few hours to go speak with the hospital, but when I came back in, Navi was asleep on the couch and William perched on the arm of the couch reading a book. I checked the kitchen and the rooms down the hall before looking at William.

"Where's Lucas?" I questioned, then looked to the top of the stairs. "Lucas!"

"He left a couple hours ago." William said nonchalantly. "Said he had somewhere to be."

I frowned. "And you didn't call me?"

"You were busy." William shrugged. "I'm almost eleven, Charlie. I can watch myself and Navi if I have to."

"No, you can't." I nodded toward his book. "Get your stuff. I'm going to drop you off with Mrs. Cruz. I need to go find Luke."

Thinking about it now, Lucas hadn't said much to me all day. I'd chalked it up as it him being upset about me asking about his nose, but this wasn't something Lucas would do.