Prologue

A princess walks into a blacksmith's shop with her mother by her side, the princess' magenta hair flowing behind her. She sees that the blacksmith has made a crown for her, exactly as she had designed it. The princess asks how much for it. He says one thousand gold pieces, and she says, "Well, that's not so bad."

The princess gives him the money, knowing in advance it wouldn't be cheap and brings a proportionate amount. She pays, and he hands over the crown, but it is swooped away by the princess's mother. The daughter asks, "Mum, why can't I have the crown?"

The mother responds "This crown will cost you more than money. It will require you to make sacrifices, to say things you normally wouldn't. To do things only a coward or vicious butcher could. This crown is a symbol of your kingdom and everything you stand for. It will not just cost you one thousand gold pieces, but a lifetime of servitude and pain as well. I hope you know and understand this well, my princess, for one day, you will wear this crown, and have to take all the burdens that come with it."

There was fear in the princess' eyes, but she bravely nodded. It was a challenge she was willing to take. She had always known it was going to be hard, and she was prepared to sacrifice both mind and body for this kingdom. Ten years old, and she is prepared to take on such a great burden. It's sad, actually, knowing that she'll be basically alone.