3: Divorced

He didn't know her, but if she was related to Anas, there was nothing he couldn't do for her. And upholding her honor included. He didn't know the kind of upbringing she had, but it was evident that she thought so low of herself and found herself so worthless that even the worst of men was doing her a favor by simply being in the sacred bind of marriage with her.

She looked up at him with her tears strained face and wiped at the strands before she spoke. "I don't know you, I've only seen you today, but please...don't break my marriage. This is the last thread I'm holding onto in being sane, okay? Please drop the charges and let go of this case."

He knew he had seen her smile few hours ago, but now that he was seeing this sheer pain glistening from her eyes, Zaid knew that she was simply faking that smile. Yes, she might've been happy that she had seen Anas, who was basically the only friend she had in her life, but there was still sadness lingering in her eyes.

"Your life will be so much better without this marriage, Sabeeha, can't you see the way you're living?" He didn't know how the words came out as softly as they did even though in his heart, all he wanted was to punch some senses into her worthless husband and make sure he didn't leave Damaturu without him divorcing her.

She shook her head, her eyes getting more filled with tears. "This is my safe haven, no matter how hellish it might be for me. Please, I beg of you to drop the charges and ask these officers to leave." She lifted her hands up in a begging manner and Zaid didn't know when he crouched down to her level and lifted both his hands, stopping himself from holding her hands in his.

"What are you doing to yourself?" She was only shaking her head, meaning he wouldn't understand her predicament and he would've loved it if he could. But there was no way he was going to leave her with this man, he might end up killing her someday. And for what he felt for her, even though confusing, he would never let that happen.

"Look at your son." He pointed at Waleed that was now cradled in Anas's arms as he cried profusely. She turned and her eyes watered even more. "Can't you see the damage you're doing to him? You think that this is the best life you could give him. I mean, I don't know your story but it's pretty obvious that you've had it pretty bad. Being a divorcee isn't the end of the world. He might kill you someday, and what would happen to your son then? Would you still be able to protect him?"

She was silent, just her tears flowing from her eyes as she stared at Waleed that cried while his entire body shook in Anas's arms. Zaid took his eyes off her and turned back to the officer. "Please, I'd love for this case to be taken to court. He's to be charged with domestic violence, child maltreatment and kidnapping of a minor. And also, he should divorce her with three talaqs." He got back to his feet and fished for his phone. "I shouldn't even be telling you all this, the lawyer will be there first thing tomorrow morning."

Sabeeha turned to look at him with her eyes the shade of blood as she continued to shake her head at him. "Don't break my marriage. I'd rather live in this hell than the one you're trying to push me back into, please." She whimpered. Zaid knew that he couldn't keep on looking into her eyes and not feel heartbroken over her helplessness, so, he turned away from her sight.

"Please, take him to the police station. We'd be there with the lawyer tomorrow." He informed the police and they dragged Dahiru to his feet.

"If you let them take me out of this room, you'd never know peace in your life." He threatened and her body shook as she couldn't muster the courage to look at him in the eyes.

"Anas, please tell them to let him go." She begged, her entire energy drained out of her body as she pleaded.

"This is the best thing to do, Beeha. I can't ask Zaid for that when he's doing it for me, for us. I know why you're like this, but I promise to protect you this time, okay?" Anas responded lovingly and she shook her head. They wouldn't understand. No one will ever understand what she's going through and what she'd go through if she let Dahiru divorced her.