Do Me No Good (Part 1)

Your grip was tight around the cool glass of champagne on the bar counter, your chest felt warm and your breathing wasn't entirely steady. You could feel the sweet fizz from your drink on your tongue, but your throat was somewhat dry, and your gaze was locked on what unfolded across the room, your head tilting, neck arching here and there so the people passing wouldn't conceal what you'd had your eyes on all night, or rather, who you hadn't been able to take your eyes off all night.

He was stood at the opposite end of the bar, in conversation with the barmaid, and while you'd caught your own confidence wavering at how attractive the woman was, covered in tattoos, her hair effortlessly cool, her smile naturally breathtaking, you'd told yourself that tonight was not the night to be insecure, that you were going to do what you could to get his attention. And whatever else you could get from him.

For a moment, you hoped your eyes would meet, but then someone walked past and once you could see him again, his gaze was back on the woman on the other side of the bar. Though you were certain it wasn't just your nervousness, but it was actually warm, he was wearing a shiny leather jacket, a pair of dark jeans, black Chelsea boots. He reached to slick his hair back over his ear with his flat hand, then leaned his elbow onto the bar counter, his top lip stretching visibly even from the across the room as he spoke, a huff rather than a laugh shaking his features for a moment, you knew exactly what it sounded like, how it momentarily brightened the depth of his gaze.

You hadn't been observing exclusively, you'd spoken to him on multiple occasions, whenever the opportunity had arisen, you'd made him laugh once and you hadn't forgotten about it since, you'd bought him a drink, spoken briefly about music, had managed to gather the courage once even to touch him, but now he'd settled to speaking to one person, had not been surrounded by a group of people the way he'd been for most of the night, his friends scattered across the room now with their partners, new acquaintances, strangers.

The moment the bartender stepped away, you sensed a window, downing your drink and taking a deep breath, then striding along the bar, on the way making sure your dress sat right, still hugged your curves the way you'd noticed him eyeing, and when you could tell he'd noticed you from the corner of his eye, you made sure to sway your hips until you were stood in front of him, a small smile that suggested much more confidence than you had curling around your lips. You knew now that this was your last chance, that you'd already pushed it and while you'd undoubtedly noticed him checking you out, he hadn't seemed too engaged in conversation with you, and now that he was most likely also more intoxicated than before, you were as determined as you were nervous that he would this time not be as polite if seemingly uninterested, but it was getting late, and you were ready to shoot your shot, your friend, who you had to thank for even being at the same party as Alex Turner, had already left, and you were ready to either finally succeed, or to once and for all understand that you didn't have a chance, no matter how many times you'd come up to him, you'd attempted to speak to him, to impress him, to catch his interest. And despite the disinterested, indifferent look on his face, despite the clear distance he seemed to carry himself with, you were not about to give up, you were hopelessly attracted to him, had waited too long for a chance like this to let his demeanour change your ambitions, and you couldn't deny that the challenge fuelled you, that you were only drawn in further because he seemed almost aloof.

With an attempt at the most sultry look you could conjure up, you tilted your head to the side. "Me again."

Alex chuckled, pursing his lips as if pondering a particular thought with close attention. "Can't say 'm surprised."

You didn't want to let the hint of a dig discourage you, raising an eyebrow and leaning against the edge of the bar counter. "I don't know why, but I can't seem to stay away from you for too long, Alex." He'd introduced himself, offered the first-name basis, though it had been unnecessary, and you were sure he knew that there had been no need for him to tell you.