𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟴 - 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂

a/n - hi! please vote :)

y/n's pov
nini drags me into the library, looking around before placing her bag in front of her. she opens her bag, showing gina's shoes. "you stole gina's shoes?!" i whisper yell. "wasn't even that hard," she says proudly as i shake my head. "what if she retaliates?" "then i'll come back at her twice as hard. i will rain down hellfire, you understand? i am the night." nini says intensely, giving a smile at the end. "nini, this doesn't feel like you. and you're scared of gina, the last thing you'll do is come back twice as hard," i add. "i know, it didn't feel like me! but i've stepped into the light, i play to win now. and i'm not scared of gina... i'm just... intimidated." i laugh, crossing my arms.

"plus, i already told ej. he gave me like the whole 'you're better than this, stealing's a little low, you're nini'," she mocks in a deep voice. "bet you kissed him after- anyways, just give back her shoes, nini," i say, "or i'll drag you by your backpack and bring you to gina myself." nini sighs. "okay... okay. i'll do it, do you forgive me?" "okay one, why're you asking me if i forgive you? two, i'll forgive you when you give it back." nini nods, zipping up her bag. "deal accepted." she starts to walk away. "that wasn't even a deal... i'm not getting anything in return," i mumble to myself.

nini's pov
kourtney walks into my room. "did you return her shoes?" she asks. "i may have stolen her water bottle," i admit, taking it out. "oh no," kourtney says. "look, you don't have to say it..." i say. "no, i stole three scarves, some jewlry and her laptop." kourtney flips her bag upside down, dumping everything onto my bed. my mouth drops open. "oh my god..." "there's more in the front pocket." "kourtney!" i say, looking at her. "yeah, we goin' to jail," she says, voice breaking. i stare at all of gina's items, sighing.

y/n's pov
i sit on the plastic chair, reading through the script. "troy and chad! scene 45, let's go!" miss jenn says, walking in. i stand on the floor, ej standing a few feet away. "okay, let's take it from the top, and remember, these two are best bros, which is a sacred thing, for reasons i will never understand. ready?" miss jenn says as two boys stand by ej's side, one holding a basketball. ej clears his throat, "we had a meeting about how we haven't been like a team, troy," he says, looking at the two boys, "us, not you. and the singing thing..." "i don't wanna talk about it," i say. "we just want you to know that we're gonna be there... cheering for you." "huh?" "win or lose, we're teammates," he says, moving closer. 

he brings his fist up, punching my left shoulder. "even if you turn out to be the worst singer in the world." he says. "and you're not gonna hear me sing, dudes, because gabriella won't even talk to me and i don't know why." "okay!" miss jenn says, "that was okay, but it was a little stiff. let's use the ball and improvise."

ej holds the ball, replacing it with his script. "just... say whatever?" he asks. "chad it up," jenn says, giggling. "troy, you're the best player we've got, we're so dang lucky." he bounces the ball to me. i catch it. "wouldn't be anything without you," i say passive agressively, bouncing it back. "the way you pretend to play basketball is really inspiring." he chest passes the ball to me. "thanks... chad! and the way you can dance is totally normal, and not at all weird for a high school kid." i throw it back. "you deserve everything that's coming your way." he throws the ball harder, and i catch it. "back at ya, dude." i throw it back. "back at you times two." i catch it. "four!" i throw it. "eight!" i catch it. "back at you infinity plus one!" i throw it too hard, hitting ej right in the face as he falls to the ground. i cover my mouth in shock. "oh! oh- okay, major overcorrect, let's take a soft ten, ej honey, let's get you some ice." by now, ej's lip was bleeding.

ej walks out of the bathroom, holding an ice bag. "hey, how's the lip?" i ask. "all good," he responds. "listen, i don't know what happened out there. it was an accident." "really? 'cause infinity plus one sounded pretty real." "that's not even a number," i mumble. "do me a favor and stay away from me and nini, okay?" "excuse me?" "don't act like my best friend, or her girlfriend. just stop acting, period." "listen, i'm just trying to make the best out of a bad situation-" "well stop trying, y/n." "i'm just trying to say that i'm sorry!" "you wanna apologize? you can start with that voicemail you left for nini, okay? she doesn't need to hear from you anymore." "what did you just say?" i ask. "just go home." he says, walking past me.

i push the doors open, seeing nini walk out. "hey! nini!" i yell out, running to her. "i have to say something to you. why did you have to tell ej about the shit i said on a voicemail, do me a favor and keep it to yourself. i don't need to be hearing from ej. it's bad enough that he knows about my vague stuff about personal problems." i say. "wait, what voicemail?" she asks. "what do you mean?" i say, confused. "you heard this from ej?" she asks, looking in the distance, then back at me.

nini's pov , the next day
i walk down the stairs quickly, obviously trying to avoid ej who was running after me. "hey nini, wait up!" he says. "i don't wanna be late," i say. "where were you at lunch?" "i had a costume fitting." "why haven't you answered my texts?" we reach the floor, seeing everyone waiting outside the bomb shelter door. i turn around to ej. "can we not do this right now, please?" i ask, getting rid up with this. "do what? are you mad at me?" i look around, sighing. 

"you're mad at me. look, there was no fitting at lunch." he calls out. "fine, you wanna know where i was at lunch? i was at the computer lab, bribing some hacker to crack into my phone to recover a message you deleted when you stole it." "wait- wait, why do you think i stole it?" "oh please! gina's not the wonderstudy i need to worry about, is she?" he looks behind me, assuming everyone's looking at us. "can we talk about this over the..." he puts his hand on my shoulder. 

i move his hand away, "don't." "nini, i was spiraling, okay? i told you i loved you and you couldn't say it back. i see the way you look at y/n, and i know you guys have a lot more history..." "y/n would never steal my phone. we've been best friends for 13 years of our lives. don't make this about y/n!" "that is what this is about! i'm just trying to hold onto what we had over the summer." "yeah, i was too, but you know what? summer's over." his face softens just a touch. "yes," i mouth, walking past him.

i look at everyone else, "yeah, is the door locked or something? why can't we get in?" "oh, natalie bagley's missing her emotional support hamster. he got loose," ashlyn explains, "carlos and gina are helping her her- him. it." i furrow my eyebrows as there's a high pitched scream. "i think they found it," ashlyn points out the obvious.