Consequences of your Actions

August 2007 Aftermath

"Did you hear about the incident in America?"

"Three students were killed and the apparition of a special grade cursed spirit."

Gojo Satoru was only sort of paying attention to the whispers around him, he was more focused on his phone. He switched from the ball game to the messages and frowned. Danika still hasn't responded. She was messaging him about when he would be back in Tokyo. Here, he was and he was going to be off on another mission soon enough. Danika was radio silent for the past two days. Nanami was answering him but only in boring one word responses. He couldn't get a rise out of his kouhai, no matter what kind of vulgar thing he sent.

"Gojo?"

"Hey! Shoko! What's up? Want a cookie?"

His team mate looked tired, more tired than she normally looked like. "Have you met with Yaga sensei yet?" Shoko ignored his question and asked her own. "Do you know what happened?"

"No, I got some cookies from that bakery. Dani was right, they taste amazing."

----

Shoko flinched, "Gojo-."

"But I think the ones from across town are better but look how big they bake these." Gojo rambled on and passed a cookie to Shoko. "Danika hasn't answered me yet but I know she's just being a bitter shrew. She doesn't want to admit I'm right."

"She's dead." Shoko blurted. "Gojo-. The mission in America-. Aiko, Yu and Danika were killed by a special grade. Nanami was the only survivor."

Gojo laughed and shook his hand holding his phone at Shoko. "No way, Shoko. That was a lame joke. Danika is way too strong and stubborn to die of anything but old age."

"They weren't able to recover her body but by the amount of blood they found and identified to be hers. The sorcerers are sure that she was killed. The special grade was exorcised." Shoko had to march on, if she didn't say it. Then it couldn't be true. If she didn't tell the last person that needed to know then it wasn't a fact. As long as Gojo Satoru didn't know that Danika was dead, a little part of her was still alive and laughing. Messing with Satoru and cooking wonderful desserts for everyone. Trying to drag Shoko to shops and reading those stupid romance novels aloud to make Yu blush. Full of life. But that wouldn't change the fact that Maboroshi Danika died. Shoko had to kill that last little ember of Maboroshi Danika. "She's dead."

Shoko knew that Gojo believed her that time. The look of surprise and shock in those eyes told her that much. "I think you should go see Geto. I think he is with Nanami in the morgue." Shoko left him there. She needed to smoke.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

"A finger of Sukuna's here? How funny." Gojo eyed the withered finger Maki gave him before surveying the ruined gym. The scorch marks and splintered boards. The traces of cursed energy were familiar and unmistakable. She tried to hide her traces but it was sloppy and unpracticed. Anyone else probably wouldn't have recognized her. Maybe Shoko or Nanami. Or Yaga. "This curse user saw it?" Eleven years dead and Danika could still irritate him.

"I don't think she cared." Maki shrugged. "I don't think she wanted to be here."

"Yeah, she was in a big hurry to leave."

"Makes sense." Gojo agreed. Eleven years in hiding. Danika didn't want to be here with the students but didn't want to leave them on their own. "I want a list of everyone you talked too. Everyone. Even that cute barista at the airport."

Gojo pulled his phone out to flick through an album. One picture of Maboroshi Danika. One that Geto took of Dani laughing despite the arm lock Gojo had her in. Full of life and mischief. Both of them were smiling... Her ginger hair and canine amber eyes didn't match what his students told him but she could've used her cursed technique. Illusions.