[Scammer and Actor]

"Go back one step back."

--Cale Henituse

_____________

Planning a nonsensical scenario to escape danger is nothing new to Rok Soo, he is experienced in dealing with dangers that have very little chance of surviving and making it out with 0% fatalities.

Danger is his close friend who has accompanied Rok Soo for at least 2 decades, making him accustomed to knowing every ins and outs that will lead him to safety. Every step is absolute calculation. However, it's not that he's a God, he can't predict exactly what will happen next, but Rok Soo always has experience, he depends on that experience for his life and those around him. So it's not that Rok Soo doesn't have an idea as to what to do to save the dragon, the problem is that there are certain people who make Rok Soo hesitate to make a move.

Ron was an assassin who had escaped with his son, Beacrox, from the East Continent, with his background as a skilled assassin, there was no way he wouldn't have noticed his and Cale's suspicious movements. Ron should at least be aware that they were up to something.

Cale snorted mockingly. "Not that Ron would care what we do."

Of course Ron didn't. He wouldn't even care if they chose to run away though. Ron was just that type of person, who could even leave the child he had fostered for at least 18 years without a word.

"Still, what if he finds out?"

One of Rok Soo's worries was that Ron wouldn't side with them, the man was capable enough to finish him and Cale with ease.

"What's with that?"

Words dead in his mouth, Rok Soo couldn't pinpoint exactly what he was worried about. Rok Soo just... she just doesn't want to see a moment where Ron doesn't side with them. There was something wrong with that feeling but Rok Soo couldn't figure out the cause at all, in the end he just pushed the thought deep in the back of his head.

"He's a skilled assassin."

"And?"

"He never trusted you."

Cale hummed, taking his words calmly.

"So you're saying you're afraid that Ron might even think about killing us for acting suspiciously?"

Is that what Rok Soo is afraid of? May be. He didn't like pain, let alone thinking about death.

"Then let's let him know." Cale decided, just as a knock on the window made them turn their heads.

"Young master, tonight we will rest in this village, I will find an inn."

Hans bowed low, barely daring to look Cale in the eye or lift his face.

Rok Soo thought it was funny. All the bad thoughts pushed away.

***

How could Rok Soo not push away his anxiety when a cliché scene made him wince? Before he could lament his misfortune, he heard a loud banging on the door, the culprit being none other than Cale Henituse.

"This bastard, why is he here?" His small swear words at least reached Rok Soo's ears as he caught up with Cale who was walking towards the scene.

As the carriage with the bastard called Cale accelerated while they were in the middle of a stop, Choi Han got to see an old geezer who was nearly run over by the noble's carriage.

As a result he went to save him and made the master of the carriage stop and get off.

Cale quickened his pace and put on a smile that was too bright.

"Young Master Venion, it's a pleasure to meet you! But I see that you seem to be in a hurry, so you can go now and leave this matter to me!"

Without even any manners, Cale pushed Venion towards his carriage back and slammed the door shut, glaring at Venion's dumbfounded coachwoman and telling her to move.

"Drag your ass, you bastard, don't keep Young Master Venion waiting!"

During the entire extremely fast-paced process-- Venion didn't even have time to say a word--nothing moved before Cale gave his order to the coachwoman who was about to start getting angry at Choi Han.

The coachwoman, with no choice but to nod blankly, knew there was nothing good in going against the orders of a noble.

Cale's bright smile dropped instantly once the carriage containing Marquis Stan's second child was quite far away.

"Hans! I need lodging right now!"

And just like that the atmosphere returned to normal.

Choi Han who glanced between Cale and the carriage that left scratched his head before reaching out to the person he saved.

"Old man, are you okay?"

"Yes, young man, thank you." Even though the old man was talking to Choi Han, his eyes couldn't leave the red-haired noble who was backing into his carriage again.

Choi Han noticed the man's gaze, following the young master's back. "It might not look like it, but he's a good person, Old man."

The old man was silent for a moment, Choi Han was about to open his mouth to say that he would take the man home, but the old man was faster.

Looking at him gratefully, the man said, "My--my place is the only inn in this village, if that helps."

Hearing that, Choi Han immediately informed Hans.

And the County Henituse party headed for the old man's place.

"Ugh, I know I hate cliches," complained Rok Soo who was only given a flat look by Cale. "What?"

***

"You really want a drink?"

Indeed, Rok Soo's plan would involve drinking, but Cale had apparently automatically asked for wine just before Rok Soo was about to lay out his plans.

Instead of answering Cale just waved his hand and sank into the bed.

Meow

The silver cat, On, meowed before climbing into the bed.

"So? What's our job?"

"Ask Rok Soo, I'm going to sleep, wake me up when they've prepared my drink."

Really, this young master. Rok Soo rolled his eyes in embarrassment.

The kittens' gazes turned to him, making Rok Soo almost let out a tired sigh.

"Can you read maps?"

***

Cale was drunk, that was Rok Soo's first thought when that night he went downstairs with the kittens who had finished their assignment and saw Cale with a rotten red face.

The stench of alcohol was overpowering even from where Rok Soo was standing at the top of the stairs. He frowned as he looked around. The knights wore their helmets.

Kim Rok Soo couldn't believe the sight his eyes were witnessing, deciding not to think about it any further, Rok Soo turned his gaze to Cale, just as the noble's gaze turned to him.

Rok Soo took a step back. Why do I feel goosebumps?

"What are you doing there? Come and join me!"

Ah, this actor, he's not drunk.

"And you're not afraid, scammer." The movement of Cale's mouth revealed that.

... To Be Continued...

Notes:

Sorry for the delay! I didn't expect to be hit by a busy 2 weeks, and I was really tired to be able to type, so I decided, let's type a little slower. But, finally! This chapter is over, thanks to those of you who have been waiting, looking forward to the next chapter!

P.S

Pray for me that I can reach chapter 18 before the 18th. Thank you.