Chapter Three

It took 30 minutes before Amber thought she was well enough to leave her room. She would have liked to stay more if it weren't for the fact she had assured Sky she would meet him.

Alfea's halls were buzzing with excitement. She could hear music playing when she got closer to the Assembly Hall, although it did little to drown the conversations of the students all around her. Choosing not to get lost in the crowd, the blonde girl found her way to the second floor, knowing it would be quicker to find Sky from there.

It took her a moment until she did.

He was standing with Stella on the ground floor, frustration written all over his face. Amber didn't have to guess what they were talking about — she heard every piece of gossip Dia had about the two. From the resentful grumbling of her sister on the day the two had started dating to the squalls of excitement when it came to her attention they had a messy fallout.

When Sky noticed Amber watching him from above, he gave Stella one last look before handing her the glass he was holding and making his way towards the staircase.

"I was looking for you," The specialist said as he approached her. "I was about to go and find your suite but Stella stopped me."

There was barely anyone around them as everyone was mingling with each other on the floor beneath them, and Amber was grateful for the seclusion.

"Glad to know I saved you from that awful conversation," Amber smirked, not bothering to hide her disdain for a second. Sky already knew how she felt about the Solarian Princess. But the way Sky's face fell for a moment caused slight guilt to seep in. "Sorry, I know you two are close,"

"Not so much these days. But from what I heard you two are even closer. You're roomies now." Sky replied, leaning over the rail where he could see everyone at the party. Amber knew he was partly glancing at Stella as he did. "Maybe you two can finally get along. She isn't a bad person,"

Yeah, I'm sure you had all summer to think about it lingered on her lips, almost begging to be voiced just to finally prove a point to Sky that Stella had changed, she was no longer the sweet little kid they knew years ago. But it wasn't fair of Amber to do so. It wasn't her relationship, she had no right to interfere.

Sensing her slight withdrawal from the conversation, Sky lightly bumped his shoulder to her side, "So, Ms. Dowling talked with me. And I heard she talked with Stella, too. You're keeping a low profile now?"

"Less prying eyes."

"You know people will figure it out, eventually. Your suitemates will, too."

"I'm not ready to deal with everything just yet, Sky. Alfea is my last chance." Amber revealed, looking at Sky and hoping he would understand, "If I can't find a way to fix myself here, I can't... I won't be able to–"

He quickly grabbed her hands and held them tightly as the girl's voice broke away, "Hey, where's that brave girl who saved my life when I was six and fell off a horse? I know you, Amber. Pretty sure there isn't a single thing in the entire Otherworld that can beat you down."

Sometimes Amber wondered if Sky was a light fairy and didn't know, because she had no idea how else Sky had always managed to brighten her mood so much without it feeling like magic.

"It was a pony," Amber corrected, and a small smile broke through.

"An abnormally large one." Sky insisted, his grin matching hers, "And whatever happens, I'm always gonna have your back, alright?" He promised her and she knew he would always keep his promises.

"I missed you." Was all the fairy managed to say without cracking. It had been so long since she felt this kind of genuine support and trust.

"Then you should've called more." His tone was mocking but held no heat. Just genuine concern for his childhood friend.