Chapter Six

TW: Panic attack, hints of PTSD

"Farah's class will help you sharpen your precision and your mind's clarity. This class will help you to discover and push your limits – both are equally important in order to understand how to channel and utilize your magic. But all in good time." Their Arts of Magic professor, who introduced himself to be Professor Pally, began to instruct, looking at the students with arms crossed behind his back. He walked over to the middle of the field the class was standing in front of and carefully placed a small, red pouch on the grass.

"Today's goal is to get the pouch before your opponent does without using direct magic attacks or drawing on a large amount of magic. Focus on your defense tactics. We don't want anyone to get hurt, but just in case, Professor Harvey is here to offer medical assistance."

Amber glanced to the side where their Botany teacher was standing, giving them a short friendly wave for reassurance. Professor Pally started to pace, his eyes carefully searching among the crowd. Until they stilled on Amber.

"You," He chose, and Amber straighten up, "Please come to the front of the class,"

The professor nodded as she did and continued pacing and searching for Amber's opponent. The process was shorter this time, and within less than five seconds he had found his candidate. As he called out to her to come forward Amber couldn't help but slightly clench her jaw.

Of course. Of fucking course.

Bloom's steps were enlaced with hesitation, but it was quickly replaced by determination. The girls stood on opposite sides of one another, both about 100 feet away from the pouch.

"Ready?" The professor looked at Amber and Bloom, "Go,"

As the word left his mouth, the girls sprinted towards their target, but their run was cut short as the pouch seemingly disappeared from its position, leaving the grass that had been beneath it almost untouched.

"What? You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?" Professor Pally stated, lips curling to a challenging grin. He then looked to the side, where the pouch reappeared, now to their right and slightly closer to Bloom.

While sprinting, Amber realized that Bloom was going to get to the pouch before her unless she did something, so she summoned a rock up from the ground, right in the redhead's path. Not noticing the new obstacle, Bloom tripped on the rock, landing on her knees. She looked at Amber with an orange gleam in her eyes before quickly recovering. They were close but before either could reach it, the small sack vanished again.

"Trust your instincts, trust your magic." The professor guided.

She saw Bloom glancing around, looking for their target to reappear. Amber let the magic flow through her, trying to reach out to see if she could follow the new location of the target. When it appeared and she finally did, Amber realized it was much, much closer to now. She ran towards it and Bloom caught up and was right behind her.

Although it didn't matter— Amber would get to the pouch before her. And she would have, if it weren't for the thin trail of fire that spread through the grass, cutting off her direct path to the pouch.

Amber fell backward to the ground, trying to avoid the flames, but the strong hit from the ground shook her vision, the world was mingling with various shades of red. It was burning, scorching hot, and blurry. Before she knew it, she was no longer on the ground and the air was getting thinner.

Bloom was choking her.

Amber couldn't feel the ground, her legs hopelessly kicking the air as she tried to break free from the girl's grasp.