12

"Quickly Kreacher, let's enter the cave," Regulus said impatiently, gazing at the sea which was crashing onto the rocks.

"Yes master," Kreacher said, trembling. He then dove into the water and entered the cave, Regulus tailing him.

Soon, they reached a blank stretch of wall. "What now Kreacher?" Regulus asked, his robes sopping wet.

"You need to make a blood sacrifice master," Kreacher answered, his voice still trembling. He slowly stretched out his hand.

Regulus paid no heed to the outstretched hand, and took out a dagger, which he ran over his hand.

"Master," Kreacher cried. "Use my blood!"

"No Kreacher," he smiled kindly, though he was shaking from nerves and anticipation. "It's my battle, not yours."

Kreacher didn't seem convinced, but stopped from arguing farther as the wall in front of them shuddered open.

"In here master."

Soon Kreacher raised the boat, and Regulus started to sit. He stopped, and turned towards Kreacher. "If anyone asks where I am, do not tell anyone, not mother, not father, not even a single soul. Go, now!"

Kreacher left, albeit reluctantly. Regulus then went towards the island in the middle.

As soon as he reached there, he saw a white basin, full of green potion. At the bottom lay, what Regulus presumed to be, the horcrux. He tried vanishing the potion, but nothing happened. After a bit of brainstorming, he conjured a goblet, which easily entered the potion.

He quickly drunk it, and as soon as it entered his system, Sirius appeared in front of him. It didn't look like him though, with the cold harsh eyes and the sneering voice, the hatred on his face.

"Did you really think I loved you?" The illusion of Sirius sneered, causing Regulus to tremble. "Did you really think I cared for you? You're not my brother Regulus, James is. And he at least helped me. Surely you loved to hear my screams of pain didn't you?"

Regulus started sobbing. "No," he croaked. "I hated it Siri, I really did. I wanted to step in, but I was too scared. I was a coward."

He quickly tottered towards the basin, and swallowed another gobletfull.

This time, he saw Smith, lying on the floor and convulsing under the strong blood flow. Behind him stood his mother.

"You befriended this filth?"  Walburga sneered. "You dared to besmirch the Noble and most Ancient name of Black by associating with him? How dare you!"

A Crucio then hit Regulus, and he fell to his knees due to the pain.

Smith had lifted his head. "Why did I befriend you? Why did I? You're just like them Regulus," he said Regulus's names with such venom that he almost vomited. "You almost killed my grandad! Even after all you knew..."

Walburga then fired a killing curse at Smith, causing him to fall to the ground. "No!" Regulus yelled, his voice filled with anguish. "Not him!"

Quickly he filled drank a bit of the potion again, believing that it would fix everything. His friend's voices, his brother's cold indifference and hatred propelled his desire to finish the potion. As soon as it finished, he grabbed the locket and summoned Kreacher.

"Yes master," Kreacher sounded relieved to find his master alive, but it quickly vanished when he saw Regulus. His eyes were unfocused and were dead and blank. A few cuts adorned him, bleeding profusely, from when he had fallen on the rocks under the effect of the potion.

"Take..the...locket. Quickly Kreacher," Regulus croaked out, before falling. "Go, and destroy it. Now!"

Unable to disobey a direct order, Kreacher disappeared with the locket, waiting outside the cave for his master, sobbing.