Prove It

A/N: I truly never intended to post this on Shayne's birthday, it just so happened I post on Thursdays at the moment and his birthday in the US happens to be when it's Thursday where I am. Also this was kind of a dumb idea, very much inspired by the Quarantine Uno video from back in early 2020. Enjoy!

————————————————

It's not news to Courtney that there's a part of her that, when she's just bored and frustrated enough, gets a little... reckless. It happens whenever she goes through a breakup and pushes straight past being sad to finding a handful of new boys to make out with and then ghost. It happens when she's annoyed about how one of her scripts is being received at work and she starts talking a little out of turn to her superiors, and it had been at its absolute most when she was a teenager who responded to her mother tightening the restrictions on her life by telling her that her Dad's then-wife, her kind-of-stepmother, was her real Mum.

She's not quite that petulant about it these days, but it's absolutely still there, and as she huffs out half-annoyed laughs as Shayne jokes about his, to quote, "massive dong" while she's playing an exaggerated character of him in a frankly much-too-long quarantine Uno shoot, she feels it bubbling in her chest.

She runs with the joke, of course, and she certainly doesn't say a thing while they're recording – other than a handful of "I hate you"s that completely lack force, of course – but she still feels it sitting with her after they wrap filming and she's sitting in the quiet of her apartment, audio recording sent off to their editors and laptop closed.

It's no secret that Shayne and Courtney have been in a weird, tension-but-not, will-they-won't-they for... she honestly couldn't put a date on when it started. A while, anyway. For the most part, that was fine: they had a great friendship, and as they rode out the rollercoaster that was Defy collapsing, the shutdown months, and joining Mythical together, she would never consider saying anything that might jeopardise the strength of their friendship.

But, as 2019 rolled into their tour and through the holidays into their Australia trip, before 2020 quickly descended into a fucking shitshow... she really couldn't point to why anything had changed, but it suddenly felt like they were both dancing even closer to something. They just wouldn't fucking do anything about it.

She can't place all the blame on Shayne – she had not even attempted to say or do a thing, either – but, as mentioned, they're in a quarantine. She's been sitting alone in her apartment for a few weeks now and she's bored and she's getting snappy and annoyed about everything and nothing all at once, and-

"Prove it," she texts Shayne, to the point, having abruptly grabbed her phone off the coffee table in front of her and typed it out before she could think twice. She immediately feels like she might either throw up or pass out (or both), heart thumping uncomfortably in her chest and cheeks heating up in fire.

Shit. What did she just do?

"What?" he replies, before her mind can start spiralling any further. She immediately tries to reach for some excuse, some other dumb joke she can make like she never meant-

But the frustration leaps up from her chest, and she feels her brow furrow. No. Screw it. There isn't a part of her that can rationally believe, after every little thing adding up over the years, that he isn't at least attracted to her, too. She has no idea if he wants a relationship with her, but hey, it's not like she's confessing to being in love with him.

"I don't like lying dude, if you're going to make me say you have a massive dong then show me," she replies, a little bluntly. As much as her mind is spurring her on, she still feels her whole body flushing as her eyes run back and forth over her own text while she watches him type and evidently, delete, messages over and over.