ONE

all aboard

ARTHUR Dermott straightened his jacket collar to perfection as he approached the train

ARTHUR Dermott straightened his jacket collar to perfection as he approached the train. His maid, Judith, trailed behind him, carrying luggage the porter couldn't carry himself, and though Arthur couldn't see her, he knew she was frowning. She seemed to always be frowning around him. He ignored it, for the most part. He hadn't hired her for her smiles, after all, though they certainly wouldn't hurt.

He stepped onto the Intercontinental Express, not checking to ensure Judith did as she was meant to. After their journey to Paris in the first place, he was certain Judith knew what she was expected to do. She hadn't failed him before. That was why he kept her around, after all.

He was greeted at the entrance to the dining car by a tall blond member of the staff, who smiled at him in a somewhat practiced manner—expected, from a public servant—and extended a hand. "Welcome aboard, Sir," they said. "Might I request your ticket?"

Arthur produced it, and they examined it briefly before saying, "Follow me to your berth, Mr. Dermott. Welcome to the Intercontinental Express."

HALCYON Kallergis—Countess Halcyon Kallergis—sat on a chaise in her berth, the door firmly closed, holding her interpreter's hand. Calypso sat on the bunk beside Halcyon, looking at her with tenderness.

Halcyon was returning to Greece for the first time since 1925. She needed Calypso more than ever now.

Calypso herself hadn't been to Greece in some years, meaning both of them were rather unsure of what to expect. Halcyon's mission was to return to her family's old estate and begin a life for certain, no matter the effort. She knew she couldn't do it alone, though she felt it was wrong, in some sense, to drag Calypso all the way across Europe with her. She had not said as much, though. Calypso would only tell her that it was her own choice to come along. Calypso was her own woman, Halcyon knew that very well.

That did not settle the uneasy feeling in Halcyon's chest, however. The feeling that this trip would go all wrong, that something terrible would happen. She pushed that feeling away. Confidence. That was the only way to go.

PIM Bach sat in the dining car, his leg bouncing up and down. He couldn't sit still; it was even worse than usual. Every step into the car made him start, and the server behind the counter was giving him a long, examining look. Pim avoided the man's eyes.

The trip wasn't supposed to be long, and then he would be in Greece, exploring Athens and taking in the history. He almost wanted to be back home. He laid a hand on the guidebook in front of him. He'd bought it with his travel tickets, knowing that he would have to learn something about Athens before arriving. Such as a hotel to stay at. That would be good information.