Chapter 1: Faint Memories

Levi's POV

When Mother was still alive, she took me walking through the woods. She said she loved how quiet it was outside and there was no one bothering us. She let me go for one second, and I was lured away into the deep woods by curiosity. When I wandered too far, I remember wanting to call out for help, but I didn't. 

"Are you lost?" I see a girl in a tattered brown dress as she walks through the trees. A basket filled with apples was in her arms. She tilts her head as her braid falls to her sides. "Why are you out here? Do you need help?"

"I... I think so..."

The girl puts her basket down, revealing bright, shiny, red apples. She carefully picks one and hands it to me. "Here, eat one."

"What is it...?"

"An apple." She says with a smile, "I like picking apples to snack."

I took it and bit into it. I don't remember having this before, and as I ate, I wanted more. Before I could mutter 'thank you to her, we heard footsteps and someone stepping on a twig. The girl's eyes went wide as she ran away into the woods, leaving the basket of apples behind. I saw the guards coming after me and taking me away from that spot. 

I was never allowed to go outside. They searched for the person that left the basket of apples there. They said that the person was dangerous. She wasn't dangerous... she cared. And I wanted to apologize for anything that may have happened to her. I didn't want it to end up like this. Never like this. Her crime was giving me apples. And I've grown to love it.

*   *   *

I woke up, feeling this weight fall onto my shoulders. My uncle, the rightful heir to the throne, was found infertile, and couldn't have a child to carry on the throne. Since my mother passed away, I'm the only one left on the throne. Because of that, my uncle has every right to control what I should do and who I should marry before I turn of age.

The mindset of conquering and acquiring power from small towns and small kingdoms was nothing but bothersome to me. All he wanted was power- that was his meal every day. I remember when he came back from one of his journeys across the land when my mother was ill. He was gleaming with joy as I saw bloodstains on his shirt. I couldn't tell if it was his or someone else's.

In 6 months, I would have to take the throne, and by then, I need to be married to whoever my uncle wanted me to marry. I don't want it to happen like that. The first thing that I want to do is to find that girl and apologize to her. Even if she doesn't remember, I do. 

*   *   *

"I want to go out," I say to my uncle as I was leaving the throne room. "I'll be back."

"Again? You've been leaving a lot. Don't tell me you have a secret lover."

"I don't. This is as much freedom as I can have before I take the throne. At least let me have my moments."

My uncle rolled his eyes, shooing me away. "Fine. Be back before sunset. I have other things to do that don't need you here."

That's the only time I can get away with leaving the castle: when he's busy. When I take over, I don't want to follow in his footsteps. I need to avoid saying or writing anything related to him. I would never sign the future of this kingdom to continue on its rampage for power. 

Aside from that, I thought about the girl I found in the woods. I always thought she was a mythical creature that lives in the woods. One of those stories where if you respected them, they would grant you a wish. If she was one of those creatures, I would wish for a better future for my kingdom.