Chapter 4: Marriage

Levi's POV

When she arrived, I didn't want to talk to her. I had no interest in marrying Petra, but I'll be forced to. One of the final steps to becoming king... and I don't like it. But I have to make at least it tolerable. Just until I become king, then I wouldn't have to deal with this.

I walked to greet her in the kitchen, seeing her with a cup of tea in her hands. "Ah, good morning," she says sweetly, "I have a question... do I call you by your title or should we be casual?"

"Casual is fine. I hate the formality." 

Petra chuckles a bit before sipping her tea. "Okay. I understand."

We sat in silence in the kitchen, not knowing what the next words should be. "How do you feel about this?" I finally asked after waiting for so long. "The marriage."

"I'm not ready for this..." Petra replies, "I'm scared."

"It's only for now... but I'm hoping that once I become king, we don't have to stay married to each other. You can go back home after everything. Would you like to have that?"

"Is that possible?"

"My uncle arranged this marriage, and I don't want to marry anyone. Not yet. But I'm told to marry, and I have to. We can pretend things will go well, but once things die down, we don't have to be married anymore. After that, we can marry whomever we want."

Petra nods her head, smiling. "That's... fair. And we pretend to be married during the entire time? It seems easy, but pretending to be in love is difficult. Could you stand it beyond your coronation?"

"I'm hoping so."

I get up from my seat, snagging one of the slices of freshly baked apple pie. "Enjoy exploring the castle."

"Where are you going?"

"To meet a friend," I say, smiling when I thought about Hanji in my head. "It helps if you have some other people to help kill boredom. You'll run into that problem. I can help, but I'm limited in my power."

"That's fine... I'll find my way to kill boredom. Enjoy your time with your friend." She says sweetly to me as I left the kitchen. My Uncle has chosen someone that has the same mindset as me. This is the best out of any horrible outcome. It's been decided... after I've been crowned, we'll divorce. She'll return home and remain by myself until I find someone I truly love.

*   *   *

In return for her giving me freshly picked apples, I gave Hanji a slice of apple pie. I promised I'll bring her more apple pies when I had the time and space to smuggle them out. I watched her eyes gleam with joy when she took her first bite of the pie. Almost like she met the divine.

"This... all this from the apples?" She asks, quickly gobbling the rest of the slice. "It's... amazing..."

I smiled as we began to talk a bit. When I'm around her, I feel like time slows down. I wanted to give her everything she needs and wants. It feels too soon, but I think my heart yearns for her already. Hanji... I think our destinies are intertwined with each other.

*   *   *

Days will go by, and I continued to find solace in Hanji's presence. I couldn't get away from her. I would neglect my duties just to be by her side. When the time is appropriate, I want her to live in the castle where she'll be safer and have a better place to sleep. I know the woods is her home, but I cannot bear the idea of how she's living in the forest by herself.

Uncle kept discussing plans for my wedding with Petra, and I could only nod at it. I had no control over it... and I wish Hanji wouldn't heard the news. I don't want my only friend to leave me because I'm being forced into a marriage.

I rather marry Hanji than Petra.