i

MASSACHUSETTS

it wasn't ideal to be stuck in a car for hours between her older sister and younger brother in the back seat. she so wanted to be closer to the window. but she was the only one who could handle bode's antics. bode snaps a another picture with his polaroid camera.

"let's play a game." bode said, looking through the polaroid pictures he took with writings underneath in sharpie.

"bode, no." kinsey said, annoyed while continue to draw.

"we can play 'I saw a monster', 'whack-a-bode', or 'serious question'." bode said.

"or we could play i spy with my little eye." milee said, raising her hand as she puts her book back in her bag.

"no whack-a-bode or i spy with my little eye in the car." nina said, looking through the review mirror at her two youngest.

"okay, 'serious question', then. serious question: if you had to lose one sense, what would it be?" bode said.

"right now, I'm sense of hearing." kinsey said.

"my sense of smell it just seems more unnecessary than the other senses." milee said, taking off her headphones.

"it's a serious question, kinsey." bode said.

"pass." kinsey said.

"boring. tyler? tyler?" bode asked, kicking tylers seat in front of him.

"one more time and g.i joe loses a leg." tyler said, as milee reaches her leg over too lightly kick tylers seat.

"I think that's the first thing you said since ohio." nina said.

"I said something in ohio?" tyler asked, exhaling as he takes off his headphones.

"yeah. you said, "oh look we're in ohio." nina replied.

"oh. I was right," tyler said. "now I have a serious question. what would you be doing right now if we were still in seattle?" tyler said, looking back at his younger siblings.

"I'd be playing fornite with stuart or wyatt or I'd be playing fornite with stuart and chase." bode said.

"what would you be doing, ty?" kinsey asked.

"I would be on a french club ski trip with sarah johnson." tyler replied, as milee rolls her eyes.

"you took spanish." nina said.

"why isn't anyone playing for real?" bode asked.

"definitely wouldn't wanna lose my sense of smell. smell is tied to memory. when your father and I would sell a house, we'd grind up a lemon in the garbage disposal. covers the smell of the paint. no one likes the smell of paint. but everyone...everyone has a good memory of lemon." nina said, somewhat killing the mood as tyler puts his headphones and everyone goes back to what they was doing.

"hey, check it out. we're here." nina said, as everyone looks out window. bode cleans his window to be able to look out.

"ok. let's stop, huh? check out the town," nina said, once driving into the small town. "hey, who wants ice cream?" nina asked.

"me!" milee and bode said excitedly in union.

"you're kidding, right?" tyler asked, as the car breaks whines as the car comes to a halt.

the five made it across the street into the ice cream shop. milee noticed bode's interaction with a another older boy who had the same g.i joe only the older boys had a m60. she smiled founding the interaction cute.