3. Mr. Playful

”I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” – Pablo Neruda

*

I couldn't move, even a centimetre. I didn't want to disturb her peace. The calmness on her face only soothing my heart. When have I been so near to her in the recent past? Never..

Her touch, her even breaths, her closed eyes stirred something in me. God! I hate you for doing this to me.

"Uhm...Adya! Wake up...we are about to land..", I said, my voice coming out squeaky.

She stirred a little at my voice and then slowly rose her head a little to sense the surrounding. We were on our flight from Dehradun to Delhi for Diwali vacation. And even for such a small trip, she slept like a baby. Not to forget, with her hand tangled in mine, her head on my shoulder.

She must have realised where we are because she turned to look at me and then our hands between us.

She didn't pull hers away immediately. She looked at them for a moment, and then looked at me, and then again at the hands.

  - Yeah madam! You married this jerk and were sleeping on him.

Slowly, she untangled our hands, and mine was practically numb.

"Sorry..", she mumbled.

"It's fine..", I replied.

*

"Bhabhi I can't tell you how stupid that was!", My sister chimed narrating the nth story of the day.

"You and stupidity stay together.", Shanu replied making her scoff.

"I think I only called driver kaka to come pick us. Why did you both decide to ruin the peace?", I said while sitting on the front passenger seat.

I feel eyes on me and turn to see three pairs glaring at me.

"Forget him! I am glad you both came...otherwise I would have died of boredom.", I hear Adya say and that makes me roll my eyes.

"It was barely a half an hour drive."

"So what!!"

*

Our room was cleaned and furnished for our stay, and I couldn't help but remember our first few nights here. The room now has things that belong to her, and I see a huge potrait of us, on the wall behind the bed post. It was one from our college years, where I was sitting on a bench, while she, in her yellow sundress, stood behind, her hand around me. She was smiling at the camera, while I was smiling at her.

Shanu and Sanvi gifted this on our wedding but we didn't put this up for obvious reasons. I think our absence proved an opportunity.

I turn and find Adya staring at the potrait too. It made me uncomfortable at once, and so I quietly sneaked to the washroom.

When I came out, she was already done changing and was leaving the room.

I went downstairs and saw everyone sitting in the dining room, including my father, and my forever quiet father was concentrating hard on what Adya was telling him.

"Bihaan!", I heard my mother's voice, "...come and have some tea....the dinner is being prepared."

I nodded and took a place beside my mother.

"..and Papa..the exams are over so there is no new batch right now.."

He nodded, "How many days are you planning to stay?"

I was shocked he was actually talking...yes, he talks to Adya and Sanvi...and sometimes to ma too, but he never asks about our plans.

Adya looked at me for answer. I have not clearly told her that.