Part 11

George sits by Karl's side as sunlight begins to break through the cracked cement around them.

George has only slept a few hours, and he doesn't think Karl has slept at all. Sweat beads at Karl's hairline, drips down his face as he tosses and turns. He groans with each small movement, whimpers quietly as he wraps his arms around his body. His skin has gone so pale that it almost looks grey, and his eyes look a bit sunken and bloodshot.

George reaches forward, drags a piece of cloth over Karl's forehead and does what little he can to make the situation more bearable for him. Karl makes a pained noise, turns onto his side and makes a desperate reach for the rusted bucket that sits nearby.

George is helpless to do anything as Karl throws up into the bucket. He's been throwing up for hours, and George is sure that there's nothing left in his system but stomach acid and the water that they've been forcing him to drink.

Karl rolls back over, and his eyelids are heavy as he pleads, "George, please. I can't do this. It hurts too much, you have to do something."

George knows what he's asking for, and even though he told Dream the night before that he would be the one to end Karl's life if it came down to it, he's still not ready. None of them are.

He reaches for Karl's hand, and Karl squeezes like it's the only thing that's keeping him grounded. He shakes his head, and whispers, "I know it hurts, but as soon as everyone wakes up, we'll start moving again. We'll find you help, Karl."

He believes the words less and less each time he says them. Karl muffles a faint cry with the sleeve of his sweater, and his eyes slide shut as he makes one last plea, "George, please. We both know I won't make it."

"You will, Karl," George answers. He can't listen to any more broken pleads, not when they're wandering aimlessly in search of a city that might not even exist.

Karl doesn't answer, only turns onto his side and draws his knees up towards his chest. He draws in a breath, but it sounds shaky and strained, and George's hands tremor as he listens to it rattle in Karl's chest. He reaches for the water, and urges, "have some water, Karl. You need to stay hydrated."

Karl makes a quiet noise, lets his eyes fall shut, and mumbles, "I don't want water. I just want to be left alone for a little bit."

George sets the water back down in case Karl changes his mind. He decides to give him the space that he wants, and he stands up slowly as he tells him, "alright, I'll just be over here if you need me."

Karl doesn't answer, but George doesn't expect him to. He looks down at the broken form that's curled up under a pile of jackets and sweaters, and his heart aches for the person who was so full of life just a day earlier. It terrifies him how quickly things can change.

George walks away with a heavy heart, wondering if he's making the right choice by pushing Karl to keep going. He knows that it's what Sapnap wants, but he fears that they're being selfish by not putting an end to Karl's misery. He tries to think about what he would want if it were him, and he thinks he would be pleading with someone to end it, as well.

"George," a quiet voice pulls George from his thoughts, and he blinks to find Wilbur standing before him.

Wilbur touches George's shoulder, and quietly asks, "are you okay?"

George knows Wilbur is the one person who he can be honest with, and he sighs in defeat as he whispers, "Karl is getting a lot worse. He doesn't want to keep going."

Wilbur nods as he looks over George's shoulder at Karl. As their eyes meet again, Wilbur answers, "I can't really blame him. It's not our decision to make, though."