chapter 40

Harry had no clue what it meant. Did he know what about Niall? He’d barely even met Niall properly. He’d seen him around at some party, and he was in his P.E. class, but there was nothing of obvious importance that he could recall. Harry didn’t like the feeling the message evoked. Louis seemed like he was spiralling.

Know what?? Lou is everything ok, he replied. He felt worried. This Niall problem was messing with Louis, and Harry felt a small frustration within himself. If Louis would just tell his friend, then all of the pain would be over. Louis didn’t need to feel such sadness. If he could just say it, then he’d would feel better. But Louis was stubborn, and Louis never listened to Harry. Harry had gotten used to it.

Fifteen minutes later, he was sitting in maths. Equations were on the whiteboard, and his brain couldn’t seem to focus. He received another text, but not from Louis.

Harry, I’m still so sorry. I’ve acted horribly. I’ve really thought it over, and I would just like to apologise to you officially. I’m sorry. I’ll never bother you again but I need to see you face to face.

It was Jasmine. Harry’s intestines seemed to ball up into yarn. He hadn’t heard from her in so long, and yet fright returned in full speed. However, this time it faded quickly. It was almost surprising to him, how fast his nerves returned to normal. It was different. He supposed her threats didn’t matter anymore, because all of the important people already knew. He stared at the screen and wrote.

Jas, if you want to apologise then do it by leaving me alone from now on. No more texts, no more talking.

It was so odd, how empowered he felt writing it. She didn’t have control over him anymore. His phone buzzed in response, and he looked at it with concern. It turned out it wasn’t from Jasmine. It was from Zayn.

Your bloke’s unhinged.

Harry stared at the words. What was up with his messages today? First Louis, then Jas, and now Zayn? What was going on, honestly? And what the hell had Louis done?

Harry wanted to catch Louis before footie practice that afternoon, but he didn’t manage to grab onto his arm before their teammates crowded around them, much too close for proper conversation. Louis didn’t look good. He looked… torn up. His eyes were lined with darkness, and his face was full of torment and sadness. Harry’s whole body was pained watching him.

It got worse during practice. Louis missed passes. He missed an open angle where he should have scored. His eyes were on his shoes and he didn’t notice when an opposing player carved in behind him to receive a vital ball. Harry took charge of being captain, even though Louis called it on Tuesdays. Louis just wasn’t there, mentally. He was off somewhere else. Harry couldn’t keep his eyes off of him. His blue eyes were edged with red. Had he… cried?

Harry didn’t know it would irk him so much. Who had done what? When? Where? Did Harry need to punch someone? Was it Niall? Harry needed to sort that bloke out. Where was he?

When practice ended, Harry wanted to snatch Louis and run away with him. However, he noticed Coach Abrahams instantly walking up to Louis, so he settled for grabbing his things and heading to the locker rooms. He noticed, of course, when the boys murmured about Louis’ unnatural state, but he couldn’t cut in. He wasn’t supposed to care.

They got into the showers, and Harry let the hot water fall over him for minutes. The look on Louis’ face, the way he’d behaved, so disoriented and lost, sat agonizingly in his chest.

“What the fuck is that?”

Harry looked over his shoulder. “What?” Oli and Stan, together with Ed and Jonah, were the only boys in the showers. They were all looking at Harry with smirks on their faces. He shook his head at them, “What, lads?”