Chapter 7

Tuesday morning. December 28, 2004.

When everyone was ready for breakfast, Angela led the way to a coffee shop on the beach. Neal skipped coffee this morning. A banana smoothie sounded like the perfect accompaniment to the muffin he ordered. They sat on a terrace that was right next to the children's pool and play area Angela had mentioned at dinner. Sure enough, Irene was captivated by the toddlers. It didn't take any effort at all to get her started comparing the little ones to her own children and grandchildren.

"Any conclusions?" Neal asked in an aside when they were done eating.

"I'd like to observe a little longer," Angela said. "How do you feel about some beach time?"

"I feel like I need to spend all day on the beach. With the poker game and the case, it seemed like I hardly got outside at all yesterday. That's got to be a crime here."

They picked up beach towels at one of the shacks staffed by the hotel along the beach, and settled near where the children were playing. Most of their group settled on towels or beach chairs, but Henry plopped down and started building a sand castle.

Noelle smiled. "I forgot we used to have a sandbox in the backyard. Henry loved it."

Neal sat beside him and studied the castle. "Sand Man?" he guessed.

Henry shook his head. "Who would call a kid Sand Man?"

A few children wandered over to help Henry with his project. Neal had noticed on previous occasions that both Henry and Irene were Pied Pipers. Children naturally gravitated toward them. Soon Irene was chatting with the little ones and their parents, while Angela observed. Henry welcomed the extra hands, and he instructed the kids to build extensions on his castle. He pretended to be taken by surprise when a moat was dug around him.

A glance toward the rest of the group showed that Peter was sitting in the shade of a beach umbrella. So far Neal had managed to avoid talking with Peter, but that couldn't last long. It was time to figure out what to say about the doubts that had been plaguing him recently.

"Still avoiding Peter?" asked Henry.

Of course Henry would notice. "I'll talk to him when I'm ready," Neal said. "At the moment I've got an idea that's a lot more original than a castle." He started piling up mounds of sand. When Joe's daughters asked if they could help, they piled up even more. "Sometimes I think of Peter as a polar bear," he told them as they carefully built up a solid base of sand for his creation. "He loves winter sports and snow. Look at him now, avoiding the sun. He's the inspiration for this sculpture."

People gathered around as Neal's project gained height. It took a careful mixture of sand and water from the ocean to achieve the solidity and smooth surface he wanted. When it was nearly three feet tall, Neal grabbed seashells to serve as buttons, eyes and a nose. "Perfect," he declared when he was finished.

"You built a snowman on the beach?" Peter asked. He'd wandered over a few minutes ago, lured out of the shade by Neal's work of art.

"I think technically he's a sandman."

###

They stayed on the beach until it was time for lunch. On the walk to the restaurant Neal and Angela trailed behind to discuss their findings, but this time Henry wouldn't give them any privacy. "Clever strategy," he said as he stepped between them. "What did you learn?"

Angela rolled her eyes. "You think I'm afraid to talk about our progress in front of you?"

"Maybe."

"Guess again. Dressa remarked on several kids who reminded her of you," Angela said.