Ch- 30 Ever-after

Jungkook's pov

I see him before he sees me.

Taehyung is leaning by the corner of the alley, looking supremely out of place, shirt sleeves folded neatly up to his elbows. His hair is a bit longer than the last time I saw him, pushed back from a face that's gotten tanner. He must have been out sailing again at some point. His eyes scan passerby, coiled energy clear in his tall frame.

I smile as soon as I see him. He hasn't done anything particularly smileworthy, but it's still etched on my face by its own accord. He catches sight of me as I cross the street. My heart clenches as a smile spreads across his own lips, transforming his stern features.

"Hey," he says.

I rock back on my heels and look up at him. "Hey."

"I'm glad you came."

"So am I." I glance at the busy street around us. "Sorry for the dramatic setup. 'Meet me at the corner of Prince and Fifth' sounds like something out of a movie."

His smile turns crooked. "We've had our share of drama, so I suppose it's fitting."

"I was never the dramatic one in school."

Taehyung snorts. "I definitely wasn't."

"Head in the books?"

He nods. "Or on the sailing boat."

"Right," I say softly. "The winner of the junior sailing regatta."

"You remembered?"

"Of course. It's your highest achievement."

He gives me a crooked smile, and I return it, warmth spreading through my chest. "Where do you want to walk?"

"There's a park down here. Is that okay?"

"Lead the way."

It's a beautiful summer afternoon, and children are playing in the sun, the park filled with people. Taehyung kicks an errant soccer ball back to where a group of boys are playing, and they shout their thanks. The silence between us isn't uncomfortable, but it's heavy with things left to be said. I can almost see them floating between us.

"Thank you for the letter," I begin.

He nods. "I'm glad you read it."

"It was... oh, I'm sorry, Tae."

"What for?"

"For pulling away. For needing time."

"No, don't apologize for that." His hand lands on the small of my back-lightly, like he's afraid I'll object-and he heads toward an empty bench. We sit close, but not touching. "Kook, you have nothing to apologize for."

I meet his strong gaze. "Neither do you."

His mouth turns down in a faint frown, eyes unreadable. "What happened with Kang-min was unforgivable. My lawyers are working on a slander suit as we speak, and if I have any say in the matter, he won't work again. Not in Seoul, at least."

The fierceness in his voice makes me want to smile. "He acted out of envy and rashness."

"It was petty."

"Yes, but he doesn't deserve to have his career destroyed completely."

Taehyung's gaze drops to my hands, resting in my lap. He's quiet for a long beat before he speaks. "You're a better person than me, to be capable of believing that."

"No, I've just thought about this a lot."

He nods, but it's miserable. "Then you know as well as I do that Kang-min isn't the real culprit. I am, and I'm sorrier for that than you can imagine."