Epilogue: Paenitet

Dear Catra,

I know I haven't tried to contact you since I left, but I thought you should have space to process everything. Now, almost three years to the day from the day I fought the Entity and realized how much I've hurt the people I loved, I thought that I should write to you in order to tell you the truth.

I'm so sorry, my daughter. I made horrible mistakes in how I raised you. I was bitter, and angry at circumstances that weren't your fault, and I would take them out on you. After my failed casting of Obtainment, I became a different person, absorbed with my hunger for power, self-loathing and simultaneously, my own narcissism. I was unnaturally cruel to both you and Adora, leading you to do things that almost led to both of your deaths.

If I could go back and change how I treated the both of you, I would. Even if it meant having to go through the pain of the first Spell of Obtainment every moment of every day, I would make that choice.

If the village gossip is true, then you have started a family with Adora. If there is divinity in the universe, then I pray that your child never has to experience the horrors that I inflicted on you. I know that you will make a thousand times better of a parent than I ever was.

I hope you have found peace and healing where you are, in Bright Moon. I have found my own place, here in the Woods, where I believe I have thoroughly begun to process everything that has happened, and everything that I have done. It is a difficult journey, but I have made progress in healing my bitter heart. I have found peace in this place, in solitude with the raw, untamed magic of the Woods.

If you or your family ever needs help, please contact me. Razz knows where to find me.

Sincerely, You're Welcome, Your Mother,

I am so sorry for how I have hurt you. Tell Adora I'm sorry as well.

Shadow Weaver

***

When she looked up from her letter, Razz was standing next to her, grinning in anticipation. Shadow Weaver sighed, standing up and pulling an envelope from the shelf. When she came back to her writing desk, Razz was reading over the letter she had written.

"You are ready."

Shadow Weaver placed the letter in the envelope, signing Catra's name in her looping calligraphy on the front. She cast a transportation spell, sending it to Bright Moon castle. Even if they weren't there at the moment, Queen Glimmer could find Catra easily. "What have you determined that I am ready for?"

"To learn, Shadow, dearie!" Razz said. Shadow Weaver reached for her cloak, for the hood that would hide her scarred face, when Razz whacked her hand with a broom handle.

"And what imagined slight have I committed now?"

"It is a warm day. You look beautiful, dearie." Razz said. "Now come! I taught this lesson to Mara yesterday, now it is your turn!" Shadow Weaver allowed Razz to lead her out of the First Ones' ruin she called home, the old woman bringing her to an empty field. She sat down next to Razz, allowing the old woman to direct her to put her hand on the ground.

"What is this?"

"Use your magic, dearie!" Razz said cheerfully. Shadow Weaver was hesitant.

"My magic is dark and chaotic. It would harm this place, corrupt it."

"Nonsense! Magic is neither good nor bad, it simply is. After all, without the light, where would the shadows come from? There is a duality to it, just like you. Feel Etheria's magic, and let the planet sing to you!" Razz said. "You are Etherian! This planet is yours, just like it is mine. Feel her!"

After a moment, she closed her eyes, allowing her to feel the magic around her. It was brilliant and beautiful, but also chaotic, and sometimes destructive. Like her. It brought a feeling of peace, knowing that she was no longer a dark anomaly in a bright world. Like Etheria, she simply was.

When she opened her eyes, golden light flowed from the ground into her hand. She watched in awe as the light traveled up the pathway of her scars, each mark vanishing as soon as the light touched it. Once it had passed, she reached up to touch her face, no longer able to trace the deep, gnarled pathways on her cheek. Etheria had healed her.

"Razz?" Shadow Weaver looked down at the old woman.

"Yes, Shadow?"

"Thank you."