Jealousy

"Hudson really lives in your dorm now?! You didn't think to tell me this before? Was he here the entire semester?!" I raged as soon as Calvin walked into the room.

Sarah glanced at him with a raised eyebrow.

"The whole school year actually," he laughed awkwardly, "So you're the ex he mentioned."

"HE CALLED ME HIS EX?" I cried.

I crumpled into the couch, absolutely overwhelmed. We'd lived on the same floor level, same building, in the same university since the year started. Somehow, we never ran into each other. He was in Calvin's dorm the entire time, and yet I'd never known.

"You know, Mia is a pretty common name so I thought he could've been referring to a different Mia. He said she was super sweet and kind, and you're-"

He stopped himself from talking and realized the hardened smirk I was giving him with the curiosity of how exactly he planned to finish that statement.

"Also... very sweet and kind. You know there's a lot of nice girls named Mia out there," Calvin chuckled nervously, shrugging his shoulders as he couldn't quite make eye contact.

"Well, whatever. It's not like I'd ever take him back. He didn't think it was a good idea to 'hold each other back' when I told him I was moving out of state for college. So it's his loss. He's obviously trying to get in my head-"

"He has a girlfriend though," Calvin stated.

Sarah's eyes shot wide open, then turned to me.

"Hudson. He has a new... girlfriend? Maybe he made her up or something, that pathetic wannabe player."

"No, I met her and he posted a picture of her on Insta. She's one of the nicest people I've ever met, like dang!"

"Calvin, stop talking," Sarah slapped a hand around his face, kinda just covering his lower chin instead of mouth.

"Where's your phone?? I need to see his profile. Now."

"CALVIN, LOOK WHAT YOU DID," Sarah shamed him. "Mia, ignore it. He's a butt."

He passed me his unlocked phone, and I quickly looked Hudson's name up from his follower list.

"Unbelievable. Do you really need this, Em?" She asked, then gazed off sadly for a second.

I thought that was a dramatic response to my need to check on this for myself, but then again, maybe I was a lost case.

Or... she just called me Em instead of M by accident. I wasn't sure.

What I did see was a delicate princess-looking girl posed gracefully with the caption, "Simping for this princess queen."

What. The. HELL?!

But I didn't realize just how much more it would hurt until I saw it for myself.

Ten waves of regret smacked straight over me the moment I saw it with my own eyes: the love of my life got over me and cuffed someone else. The girl wasn't a catfish either and looked way prettier in person, so I couldn't even use that to feel better. He was smiling with her, laughing at something she said.

He was only supposed to laugh at my jokes.

What could she have possibly said to make him laugh that hard? No one's that hilarious.

"Her blonde isn't natural," I spoke aloud, which made Sarah turn.

"Who's? Mine? Bruh, you've seen my childhood photos and when have you ever seen roots on me?" Sarah immediately defended her hair.

"Duh, I know your blonde is natural. I'm talking about that fake-tanned Barbie over there," I pointed out, the couple at a far enough distance that they would not hear our conversation.

Sarah dead-panned me. "What did she ever do to you? And dying your hair isn't a crime- WAIT, your purple isn't naturally growing out of your head either, as often as you keep up with it."

She had a point.

"I'm not saying it's a crime. Your sister dyed her hair too. I just feel like that girl looks so fake," I simply expressed.

"Is that Hudson with her?" Sarah questioned, then realized. "OH."

"Yes, that's his new girlfriend," I muttered spitefully.

She had healthy beachy platinum blonde waves, dark roots, a golden tan, and the brightest blue eyes I'd ever seen in a human. Plus, she seemed really sweet from what it looked like. She kept smiling at him with white straight teeth.

She and I were nothing alike. Was this Hudson's type? A high-maintenance girly girl?