Chapter I

-------------------------------------------------------------

"The city of dreams. I'd gladly kick the balls off the idiot who thought that one up."

- Panam Palmer, 2077.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter I.

(Y/N) liked watching rockets launch into the outer space. The windows of her small studio apartment overlooked the station and the young woman couldn't help the fascination she felt upon seeing the shuttles at night, as if it was her first time seeing them.

She didn't exactly dream of space. She could barely get ahold of herself in the cruel reality she had been living in for seventeen years, so thinking about dwelling on some other planet seemed a bit overwhelming to her. (Y/N) was more into the way the rockets would rise over the lights of the dreadful city she called her home, as if finally free of its chains and ready to set out for the new world.

(Y/N) thought she would probably be scared of the new world. How would she survive there? She was alone and the risks of going out young and without a bang would probably be higher than in Night city.

And then there was air, too. There wasn't any in space. But there was in Night city.

Then why did she feel like she was suffocating each day she spent there?

Norris stopped her train of thought to look at the half-burnt cigarette she had been holding since she had started her nightly reminiscing. As the ashes fell, she wondered if there was a reason why she was trying to subconsciously defend Night City against a better future. Was she really that scared of change? (Y/N) supposed there was something better than the city out there but, then again, there should have been something much worse.

What she knew for certain, was that in Night City, there were no good endings for anyone.

Shaking her head to get rid of her depressing thoughts, the girl took one last puff left of the cigarette before the bud started to burn her fingers and put it out in a make-shift ashtray. She rose her arm to scratch at her nape and when her fingers met metal (Y/N) flinched before relaxing again. She could never get used to the thing attached to her spine but she supposed it had not yet been enough time to.

It had maybe been a few weeks since the death of James Norris, a former lieutenant colonel of the NUSA military turned cyberpsycho who was wreaking havoc on the Corpo Plaza, killing NCPD officers before he was neutralized by MTac. (Y/N) could still remember hearing it on the news, static buzzing in her ears like a thousand mosquitoes had inflated her mind, vision blurry as she watched her own blood get shot between the eyes. She didn't even get any time to grieve before she received an anonymous package on her doorstep, the implant inside still covered in her parent's blood.