Absolute Nightmare Fuel

Bullets were flying past his head as this wide eyed young man barely knew where he was at. He was hoping to get a few minutes of reading before bed but all he knew now was the loud gunfire and the bodies falling as if they were raindrops. But the odd thing was that he recognized where he was at or more so, when he was at. This young man had found himself in the most well known shootout from the old west, the shootout at the O.K Corral. Confusion and fear flooded his body as he froze in his spot on the dusty ground. He was hearing shouting, maybe for him to move or maybe the screams of the townsfolk, either way he had to move himself. Slowly shuffling, he made his way to the side of the corral, taking a breath of relief, that is until he felt a searing hot pain rip through his shoulder. The stray bullet came from one of the McLaury's guns as he had turned around to see a gun pointed right at him. Holding his shoulder wound in agonizing pain, he felt the sweat accumulate as the gunfight ended. He almost felt like the four dead men lying on the ground but soon he would be like them if he didn't get help soon. His eyes began to slowly close and become blurry, he swore he heard Wyatt Earp ask if it was alright, but by this time he was barely conscious to answer. Soon his eyes closed and he felt his heart slow as he was fighting to survive. That is until he heard his mother's voice yelling for him to awaken. His body began to shake and move and the yelling intensified until he bolted upright with wide eyes filled with fear. "Atticus! Atticus, it's alright, you were dreaming."

His mother's voice brought him out of his state of shock, as his eyes followed her voice. Her face was filled with fear as he could imagine his was as well. She looked tired and worn down but still awake enough to know her son had a problem. Atticus's heart soon began to relax as he fell back down on his pillow, "Honey, you were having a nightmare. I came in here to wake you, but it looked as if you were having a seizure." She stated with great worry in her voice. "Sorry, mom." He was still recovering from the nightmare, feeling where the bullet should have been. "You don't have to apologize." She watched as her son pulled his legs over the bed, trying to hide the sweat and tears that formed, but she knew. All she could do was be there for her son and hope that this will end soon, if not, she might have to take him to a specialist. She breathed a heavy sigh, "Well, you should get ready for school, Jack and Hazel are probably already waiting for you." She let her hand rest on his shoulder, feeling the tenseness that followed. "Alright." He replied, but his voice betrayed him, as fear still fluttered through him.

Once his mother left, he managed to get dressed and head downstairs. Of course, with the start of October, it brought out his mother's inner decorator and made the house look like a haunted house. But her crazy decorating always brought a smile to his face. "Hi honey, I made you breakfast, but I got to get to work. Think you can walk to school today?" She asked, passing a plate of pumpkin pancakes towards him. "Yeah." "Great, now I'll be home at six, be careful." That last part always sounded so much more demanded than it was. "Of course." He replied with a smirk as she gave him a kiss on the forehead. However, just as she was about to leave, his friends busted in through the door. "Good morning, Miss.Thatcher." "Yeah, morning, Miss.T." "Hello, Hazel, Jack. You guys have a safe walk." His mother was always kind to his friends, even though she secretly found them annoying, but it always amused Atticus with a cheeky smile. "Hey, dude. How's your morning been? Because next to my baby sister screaming and my dad starting his healthy diet at five in the morning, I don't know what's worse." Jack had such a way with words and always had some sort of story to tell. He was the man of the school, at least that's what he thought until a bully comes along and dunks his head in a toilet. Jack was never a cool kid, more of a nerd than anything. His thick framed glasses and curly black hair never helped his case either. Enjoying the last bit of pancake Atticus had left, he felt an arm wrap around his shoulders, "Hey, no pancakes for us." Hazel tried to sound insulted, but it was hard when she had a big smile plastered on her face. In Atticus's eyes, Hazel was the most beautiful creature to set foot on this planet, with her dark hazel eyes and her bouncy brown hair. But he could never tell her that as they had known each other since kindergarten, and doesn't want to ruin their friendship over a petty breakup. "Sorry, mom only made them for me." The thoughts of the nightmare soon dissipated as his friends became his life. "Awe shoot, we gotta leave now if you don't want to be late for school." Jack yelled out, rushing towards the door with Atticus and Hazel behind his heels.