[Chapter One]Dumpsters aren't comfortable

[Hey some of this might not change too much from my original re-write, ok? -F]

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

My heavy eyes open, trying to adjust to the intense light in the sky. My senses are invaded with the smell of rotten fruit and wet cardboard. 

Just a normal day waking up on the side of a dumpster. 

I blink a few times, locating the crustiness in my eyes and rub them away. I move to sit up and stretch, my bones cracking in semi-relief. Taking a big breath I move to get up, supporting myself with the side of the dumpster.

A sharp pain shoots from my lower back up to my neck, making me cry out. My back wasn't agreeing with the hard floor. I wish I had a nice soft pillow and blanket, maybe even just a piece of fabric I can repurpose. I've thought to check the dumpster, but the mental image of finding maggots among the rotten food made me think otherwise. 

 Standing up from the ground, more successfully this time, I lightly dust myself off. Freeing a cloud of dry dirt from my clothing. Luckily it didn't rain. Mud would be a lot more troublesome.

I grabbed my school bag off the ground and slung it over my arm. Out of everything, my bag has had it the worst. Living life as a make-shift pillow along alleyway floors will do that to ya.

Feeling content as I could, I made my way towards school. My shoes slumping against the pavement.

I'll probably end up being late. Again. I can't tell time if I don't have a clock, nor can I wake myself up at the right time without any form of an alarm.

But nobody cares about your struggles at school. 'Excuses, Excuses' they'd all say. How lovely.

[SIGH]

Making my way up the school steps, I see the halls still crowded with students. I feel a little comfort knowing I made it after all.

I hug my bag close to me as I make my way to class. The sound of gossip and shoes scuffing along the floor fill my ears.

Dogging and weaving through people, hoping for no interactions, I finally make it to class. 

I head straight to my spot, take a seat, and keep my head down. Becoming pretty invisible to everyone as they all chat away. Not like I have to try too hard anyway.

I pull out my notebook for class and a pencil. The notebook had been graciously given to me by the school. They gave me a pencil with it, but as you could guess, I lost it. This pencil was one I found near one of my many dumpsters. Score!

The teacher makes her way into the classroom, an aura of strictness following her. She was not one to be messed with.

It makes me wonder what made her come into the life of teaching? Did she simply like ruling over people who were younger than her? Did she like school and a student made her change her mind? 

Guess I'll never know.

I snap myself out of my thought, she was already teaching. Classic me, getting carried away in thought.

I scribble down her notes as quickly as I can.

[TIMESKIP; cause school sucks]

I slammed my notebook shut amidst the shuffles of my peers packing up. Hoisting up my bag onto my desk, I open the pouch. I slide my notebook, pencil, and new worksheets in and close it.

Moving to get out of my seat, I grab my bag off the desk and head to the door. Exhausted as ever.

I weave my way through the hustle of students and staff as I head to the exit. Careful not to bump into anyone.

My shoes hit the stone steps of the front staircase. 

Where should I go today? Where do I want to relax for the night?

Many alleyways come to mind, but its been a while since I went somewhere that...smells a little nicer?

Why don't I go to my favorite tree tonight! The scenery and smells are much better than any alleyway! I'll still have to get some food first.

Sighing, I make my way to go hunt for food before heading to the forest.

[TIMESKIP; bleh]

I munch on my scavenged sandwich as I wander through the forest. 

I know you might be asking yourself, where did you get the sandwich. Answer, you don't want to know...

That's how it goes for me. 

I breathe in the smells of nature. Such a pure smell, for the most part. 

Stopping at the base of a tree, I look up. This is the tree that's for sure!

"Hello Gregory!" I greet as I give him a hug. 

Yes, I've named the tree. But when you're as lonely as I, sometimes naming a tree makes it feel more like a home.

I release the hug and sling my bag around to my back. I hold the sandwich in my mouth, to the best of my ability and I hoist myself up. I only stumbled a few times, and only a few pieces of lettuce and a tomato fell out. I call that a win!

I rest my back against the trunk and finish off eating my sandwich as I take in the sounds and atmosphere around me.

I finish off the last bite and rest my head back, ready to drift off into the sunset.

I'm glad I chose this spot.

I drift off to sleep, not at all prepared for what tomorrow would bring.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hey all!

Sorry I have been pretty inconsistent, life is pretty wonky!

Hope you enjoy the first chapter as I get back into this.

I re-watched FB and realized that Kyo's day one did not happen like I thought it did.

So I changed the chapter.

He starts day one tomorrow.

This chapter was a bout you. Learning what your life is like in this reality.

Let me know what you think! Let me know any suggestions! And Let me know if you want me to write anything else!

Thank you so much!

-Frederick [9/20/22; 1am]