Chapter 9 Part 1

****Thanks for the votes and comments!*****

Chapter 9

Present

            "What are you thinking about?" Jackson asks me, readjusting his long body and stretching. 

            "I was remembering how you promised to be at every appointment when you found out I was pregnant." I let my hand fall to my stomach and rest there, remembering how he insisted I let him have as much notice as possible so he could book flights home. We both knew it would be a difficult thing to do with his practice schedule and the start of the season approaching. I wanted him there for everything, too, and worried that I might have to do some of the pregnancy without him. 

            "It wasn't easy, but we did it. I'm so grateful we were able to find a doctor who worked Saturdays or I might not have been able to pull it off." He rubs at the scruff on his chin. I can't take my eyes off of him. Even sleep-deprived and worried, he is still strikingly handsome, his dark lashes lining his intense blue eyes. He runs his fingers through his hair, which is longer now than I'm used to.

            He lifts his brow and leans forward, giving me a kiss. "I miss that look on your face. It's been a few weeks since I've caught you checking me out." I feel my cheeks flush. "I can't wait to get us out of here. I want to take you out again, remember what it feels like to hold you, get you a little tipsy, even." He bumps his shoulder lightly against mine and a sigh of contentment escapes my lips. I want that, too.

            "We could go dancing," I dream. He laughs.

            "I could go watch you dance." He raises his brows twice quickly.

            "Come on, the last time we danced you had a good time, right?" I wait for him to remember the evening I'm talking about and see the light of recognition flash in his eyes.

            "Yes, that was a good time. That day was filled with amazing surprises, wasn't it?" He reaches for my hand and holds it flat inside his. I love the way his long, strong fingers cover mine. I nod my head and move my hand a little on my stomach, images and emotions from that day flashing through my mind. 

            "Every time I think I've experienced the best day of my life, another comes along that tops it." He nods and rests our joined hands against his mouth as if he is praying.

            "The best is yet to come, Rookie. I promised you there would be no ending to this fairytale and I intend to keep that promise." His eyes fall to my belly and I feel it flip with anxiety and a little sadness.

            We sit for a minute in silence and then a new nurse pops into the room. She's a little cheerier than her evening counterpart. "Hey! I'm your day nurse, Janie." She takes the wipe-off marker and uses the eraser to remove the name of the night shift nurse from the whiteboard on the wall. She writes her name in the clean space, making big curvy letters with a heart to dot the "i." I like her already. "Let me get caught up on your case and then I'll be back in to get some vitals." She sticks the marker back onto the board and heads out into the hallway. 

            Jackson and I smile at each other, grateful that the new nurse seems to have brought a breath of fresh air with her. The steady beep of the machine fades into the background, sounding less ominous than before. A cough at the door causes us both to turn in that direction. Angelique peeks inside.

            "Hey you two, I'll just stay a minute." She scoots timidly into the room and I reach my arm up to welcome her with a hug.

            "Stay as long as you want." I hold her tightly, enjoying the motherly way she smooths my hair with her hand.

            "No, no. I need to get back to the house and make some calls for your father.  I'll be back, though. I was just wondering if there was anything you needed from me while you're here. I know this hospital stay was unexpected so you might have things at home that need to be taken care of. I could do some laundry or clean up a bit? Maybe stock your fridge?"   

            I look to Jackson and he shrugs his shoulders. We weren't expecting to be here, but I've been working less lately and have had time to keep on top of things at home. "Thanks, Angelique. That's very kind of you. I think we actually have everything fairly organized. We're still getting settled, but it's good enough for now."

            "Of course, sweetheart. Just call me if you think of anything. I'll see you later." She gives Jackson a kiss on the cheek. "Can I at least open those curtains for you and let a little light in? It's good for the soul." She flutters her hands nervously, anxious to find a way to help.

            "That would be great," Jackson answers. She smiles a relieved smile and makes her way over to the large window. Pushing back the heavy fabric, she allows the light to shine in, bathing the room in a soft yellow glow. The drapery sways as she steps back to look at her work.

            "There you go. That's much better." She kisses my forehead and then leaves the room with a small wave. The way the light illuminates Jackson's features makes me think of the way the sun shines brightly through the front window of our home. 

****Don't forget to vote!*****