• Award Winner Interview •

Hey everyone it's me ICTinBlood this side, Today let's see the interview of CBMokedi  who is the author of "A Mouse and The Fallen Star" book, which won the runner up in our  very own Teen Fix Mini Awards under Historical Fiction genre.

Without wasting any more time, let's get into the interview.

1) May we know a few words about yourself?

I’m Chau. On Wattpad, I go by CBMokedi, which is my initial and my husband's Nigerian last name. I’m originally from Vietnam but have lived half of my life in the US. I studied Studio Art with an emphasis on Interior Design in college but becomes a jeweler instead. I work with crystals and semi-precious stones
daily, but don’t ask me about their healing properties. Never into that.

2) When did you start writing either on this platform or in the normal way?

Writing always came naturally to me, but I’ve never really thought of it after I graduated college. Two years ago, I wrote “Until The End Of Time”, a Supernatural fanfiction, and posted it on Archive of Our Own (AO3), then Fanfiction.net, before Wattpad. That story opened a door that I wished I opened
sooner. It was my very first creative writing project anywhere.

3) What is your motivation to write?

Supernatural is a TV show that I dearly love. After 15 years, it ended in 2021. I still remember how I bawled my eyes out watching the ending. Like many Supernatural fans at the time, I had only one burning desire - To rewrite the story in a more fulfilling way. I barely knew anything about fanfiction at that point but I went down a spiral of reading and watching anything Supernatural. In the end, I chose to write an Alternate Universe fanfiction focusing on the archangel Michael instead. I still don’t fully know why I did that.

4) How did you feel when you got to know that you were the winner?

I’m happy. I think the feeling of seeing my works get love and recognition never gets old, no matter how many years past or how many contests I enter.

5)Did you ever face criticism? If yes how did you overcome it?

The harshest feedback I’ve gotten was from a writing subreddit after I post my first chapter draft there.

It hurt, of course, but I felt better after a few days. More importantly, I found things I can use to improve my story from those replies. Nowadays, my mentality gets tougher. I don’t think anything could destroy me anymore. It comes with being certain about who I am as a writer, where im at on the journey, and what I can do to get better.

6) When did you come across this genre or this fan fiction category?

I’m always a fan of historical stories, shows, and movies. I’m super knit-picking about getting the
historical details right. “A Mouse and The Fallen Star” came after I finished “Until The End Of Time”.

It was intended to be a prequel/spin-off of UTEOT. I wanted to give Luc or Lucifer the spotlight that this very complicated, grey character deserved.

He has a lot of stories to tell. I always know that I want to write a historical romance with him as the main character, but originally, I thought of writing him having a very tough time in 1950s America, and our main female character would come as a savior or anchor
for his life.

When I started writing, a piece of furniture I wanted to include in the first chapter actually fit the Victorian era aesthetic better, so I moved the story back about 100 years. Luc now had a much more plush life, still, he encountered different problems. The good thing is our girl will still be there to save his life, in a way. The story is still going at this point.

7) What was your opinion about our awards and how we hosted them?

I think the awards were very organized. They were held in a timely manner which I appreciate.

8) How do you handle writer's block?

I usually listen to music and make book covers (Hence my Book Covers For My Awesome People came
into existence). A lot of times, I force myself to write. I do think discipline and keeping a schedule are very important. Inspiration sometimes just doesn’t come “like that”, but when I write, it will, sooner or later.

9) Do you plan on taking writing as a profession? If yes, what are your plans for it?

I would love to. My ultimate dream would be published traditionally, but im not against self-publishing. I plan on publishing “A Mouse and The Fallen Star” eventually either with Amazon or small publishing companies that accept unsolicited submissions.

10)What was your response when you first published this book?

I have a lot of hope for it. I think it deserves a lot of love. Even now, it still feels surreal sometimes that I’m the one who wrote it. I never intend to create something big and heavy. This book touches on a few dark topics, but ultimately, I just want people to feel something when they read it. To me, if my story can move someone, it is a success.

11) As a writer, what are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?

I think being a pantser is both my strength and weakness. I can write anything on the fly without
spending too much time overthinking this and that, but because of it, the story could come out quite rough, sometimes downright bad or mediocre. It requires a lot of edits.

12) Is there any advice you would like to give to teenagers out there?

I know it’s cliché, but please, don’t worry too much about what people think of you. The ones who truly care about you and love you will think you’re amazing no matter what. You don’t need anyone's approval or acceptance. In the end, you will realize that if they don’t pay your bills, their opinions don’t matter.

13) A few words about our community.

I think Teen Fix is an amazing community that is very supportive to old and new authors of Wattpad.

14) Would you like to join this community?

I would love to when im a little more active on Wattpad.

15) How did you feel about giving us the interview? Any suggestions would you like to give?

I think the interview is an amazing and fun experience. The host has been very helpful in sending me the
set of questions as I asked. I think that is the best way to interview people who live in different time
zones. Thank you for having me!

Thank you so much for giving us your interview. We wish you luck for all your future endevours.

We'll be back with another interview real soon, till then Take care and cya

- Teen Fix