The Master And The Ship

The next time he saw a card was a week later, in the hand of a large pirate missing one eye. He was standing outside of the Mystic Candle and trying to force his way inside. A few of the regulars were trying to keep him out but they weren't strong enough.

"Oy! Lug!" Hyunjin shouted, hoping to annoy him enough to pull his attention.

The brute turned one bloodshot eye towards him. He was disgustingly drunk. There was even dried urine staining the front of his trousers. "Need something you little splinter? 'Bout as thin as a breeze you are."

"I need that card."

The man grinned cracked yellow teeth at him and started to turn away.

Hyunjin unsheathed his blade, spinning it to a defensive slice when the one-eyed man surprised him with an attack.

"My sight's been better, but my ears have never been." He promised, throwing two more arm shaking slashes.

Hyunjin barely deflected them, physically dodging the ones coming right after, since he was sure he'd buckle trying to block again so soon.

"I'm going to kill you now. And then I'm going to kill these two idiots for trying to stop me in the first place." He gestured to the customers at the entrance.

Hyunjin noted the purple sashes of the Eastern family around their waists. He wondered why any of them would be in a dirty little whorehouse like this. They weren't men capable of fighting though- judging by their slender forms and unmarked hands- so he'd be on his own.

Another series of heavy attacks that he barely got out of the way of. People were beginning to stop on the street and watch them. His power was impressive, but his form was terrible. It told the story of a man who'd learned to kill things by crushing them, not by actually using the sword. He could tell he'd had either very little training, or none at all.

Hyunjin of course, had only been trained to a point, learning the rest through sparring matches with men better than he was. He was a quick learner.

So the next time the one-eyed man began his brutal slashing assault- "in groups of three" Hyunjin thought "always in groups of three"- he was ready for it. A few well-timed steps and he was able to lob the man's head clear off of his neck.

The men in purple sashes waved in a conservative but kindly manner, indicating their thanks.

Hyunjin picked the card out of the blood-drenched pocket and headed to the inn.

"You are very good at killing people." Mingi said, flipping the joker card in his palm.

"I have incentive."

"Clearly." Hongjoong appeared from the balcony, tossing another bag over. "Two left then?"

"Two left."

Minho didn't startle in his embrace that night. He clung almost painfully tight instead, and immediately started sobbing.

"Little cat?"

The sobbing grew slightly louder and Minho turned, hugging against him.

Hyunjin pet gently down his back. "Talk to me when you can."

When he composed himself he sniffled, arms still wrapped around his neck, face tucked against his throat.

"Can you tell me?"

"I'm... going to die."

Fear. Worse than anything he'd ever known.

"Why would you say such a thing?"