Chapter two: Reunion-a-rooney

"Holden?" I said as I turned around. My face broke out into a smile of its own accord. It was him.

I knew he was currently living in New York. After all, the last time we saw, he had told me that he was in NYU studying music and to hit him up if I ever decided to do Broadway.

I was planning to hit him up but I definitely didn't expect to run into him. Must have been my lucky day. Without thinking about it, my feet ran towards his open arms. I hugged him warmly, reminiscing on the smell of his familiar scent.

"It's so good to see you Liv", he said once we pulled back, a big smile on his face.

"You too. It's definitely a pleasant surprise", I replied, "you look great by the way". He did. Holden always looked great. He's the kind of guy that would make a plastic bag look sexy.

When we were dating, I used to tell him that if a career in music didn't work out, he could always try one in modelling. But he'd joke about not being six feet tall and that ruining his chances.

Looking at him now, I don't think any modeling agency would turn him down, should he apply to work with them.

He chuckled, the warm familiar sound that I didn't realize I had missed so much. "Thank you Liv. You too. But then again, you always look amazing. When did you arrive in New York. You should have called me", he said.

"I actually just arrived today. I promise though, I would have called eventually. I was just settling in".

We heard a cough and the little bubble that Holden and I were in managed to pop. I turned my attention to an impatient looking girl standing a couple of feet behind him.

It was then that I remembered that I too was not alone and I saw Jason awkwardly standing in a corner and I suddenly felt bad.

"Liv, this is Jessica. She's a friend from NYU and she's a fellow music major. Jess this is Liv Rooney, actress, singer, overall talented person and a dear friend of mine. Liv and I are from Steven's point", Holden said introducing us.

I plastered a polite smile on my face and extended my hand out to her. Something about her rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was because I could tell she didn't like me. I could feel waves of hostility coming off from her.

I wondered why. She was pretty. She was tall, taller than me and she didn't have heels on. She had smooth dark skin and dark hair that she wore in long braids and even in the sweats that she had on, she still looked radiant.

She shook my hand and managed to give me a smile but I knew it wasn't genuine.

"No wonder you looked familiar. You're the girl from Sing it Loud".

I beamed. "That I am. Were you a fan of the show?"

"Nah not really but I caught a couple of episodes so I could recognize you", Jessica said.

I didn't know what to say to that so I decided to introduce Jason to them, well to Holden.

"Holden this is Jason. He's my neighbor at my new apartment and he was kind enough to give me a tour of the city. We were actually just going in to grab a bite to eat", I said.

Both men gave themselves a nod of acknowledgement. "Nice to meet you", they said.

We didn't get to say more because Jessica grabbed on to Holden's arm.

"Holden, we've got to go. We're running late", she said.

I saw Holden curse under his breath.

"Jess is right. We actually do have to go but we have to catch up Liv". He fumbled through his pockets until he came up with a piece of paper that was actually a receipt for a cup of coffee.