Things get worse

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••­••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The ticking of the clock felt like it was mocking him, and he glared at it as the time finally hit 3:00 am. He'd been staring at the ceiling for hours, wishing sleep would come. It hadn't and he no longer felt comfortable. Once soft blankets now felt itchy and there was a restlessness in his legs that wouldn't go away.

Pushing himself up, he can't help but scowl. For all his overthinking, he hadn't seen this coming. Of course, his body had gotten used to falling asleep after scenting. So much so that now it was like he didn't remember how to fall asleep without it. Stupid scentings, stupid alpha, stupid stupid. He muttered to himself as he shuffled towards the door to head downstairs, draping a throw blanket across his shoulders.

The days had been warming up with the coming of spring, but the nights still had a chill to them that had Midoriya hugging his blanket tighter. He wasn't even sure why he was heading to the common room. His rational brain supplied that making a cup of tea might help. His omegas low crying told the true reason; one he was ignoring for it hurt too much to focus on how his nest made him want to claw his scent glands off.

Rounding the corner to the kitchen, he decides to keep his thoughts focused on what he's doing to avoid the usual wandering his mind does. Should he turn the light on or off? Having the overhead light on seems like it would be too bright, so he instead opts to turn the small light above the stove on. A dull yellow spreads across the counter, just enough so that he can see what he's doing.

After filling the kettle up with water and switching it on, he opens the cupboard to scan the selection of teas there. They're mostly Yaoyorozu's, but she's expressed multiple times to everyone that she's willing to share. English breakfast tea? No. Lemon? Hmm, he does like lemon but the idea of citrus seems to wake his mind up instead of calming it down. Chamomile? That's a calming tea, right? He knows next to nothing about tea but that sounds right so he takes a bag out and waits for his water.

Before he can worry about intrusive thoughts, a monotone, "Midoriya?" causes him to turn around and see a half-away Todoroki standing in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Todoroki-kun, what are you doing up?"

"Needed water. What about you?" Todoroki pulls a glass out of the cupboard and starts filling it with water.

"Can't sleep, so," he gestures to the kettle that's nearly finished boiling, "tea,".

"Hm," Is all the reply he gets while Todoroki gulps down the water. However, when he sets the now half-empty glass down, Midoriya can see the subtle changes in his friend's face.

"Stop looking at me like that,"

"Midoriya-"

"I don't need to hear the lecture right now, okay?" Midoriya knows that his behavior has been concerning, he knows. Between not sleeping and overworking himself, it's obvious he's not okay.

Todoroki pauses before he chooses to continue. "I'll admit that the dynamic between secondary genders has always been.. confusing to me."

Midoriya says nothing while he fills a mug with water and puts the teabag in to steep.

"I'd like to help though if you'll let me,"

This time it's Midoirya who pauses. Help? "Help how?"

"Well, the scentings between you and Bakugou always made you sleep, yes?"

Midoriya tries not to visibly wince at the mention of Bakugou and nods.