Chapter 3: Smooth Criminal

The next day I sat at the dinner table with my mother. There was mostly only ever long silence between the both of us. I wonder if she even knew about her friend. It's not something she'd ever showed interest in, but her and Gloria went way back.

Y/N: Gloria didn't make it. She died in the hospital.

  She stopped eating for a moment, as if she was just now learning of it.

Mom: When?

Y/N: Yesterday, that's when David told me.

Mom: . . . I see.

  After that she stared at her plate for a bit before she just went back to eating. One thing's for sure, if she was grieving or sad in anyway, she must have had a tough exterior, mastery over her own emotions, or she just doesn't give a fuck. But knowing her, she wouldn't have asked when unless she really cared. Either that or curiosity, but that always killed the cat, so I try my best to avoid that.

Y/N: How's work?

Mom: Satisfactory.

  More silence, nothing else she really needed to say to me.

  I finished my meal and stood to take my plate to the kitchen to wash it. I needed to meet with David tonight so I had to get ready for that. Also needed a better place to hide my injuries. As of recently, I've been taking on Animals and Tiger Claws alike, each one leaving their own mark on my that has yet to fully heal.

  I waited for her to finish her food and I took her dishes to the sink to wash them as well. She returned to her room, but before she was out of sight she called to me.

Mom: (Y/N).

  I turned to her not knowing what to expect. She placed her hand on my shoulder.

Mom: I'm proud of how you've come along. Continue and I'm sure you'll make it at the top.

  Now pause real quick. I know to anyone else this sounds like she does this or says this to me often, but no. Even when I was in school and passed all my exams, aced every test, she treated it like it was average, even when I graduated the Academy early, she treated it like it was expected of me. This is the most she's said for me seemingly not doing anything but living. I hadn't done anything note worthy yet, but maybe this was just from all the years of me doing good. Seventeen years of growing and work for this, but I'll take what I can get.

Y/N: T-Thank you mother.

  I bow as she retreat for the night. Making my way to my garage doing my usual run. Taking the train, walking, feeding my cats, playing with them a bit, trust me I need to play with them or else they get antsy. Then I check on my Nightrider, fuel it with some spare CHOOH2, and went on my way to his house. I was gonna share what I do at Night with him tonight, though I noticed the locks on his door was changed once I arrived at his place, must be because of late rent.

Y/N: Well shit.

  Making sure no one was looking, I use the monowire to burn through the lock and make my way inside. No one was here.

  I walk around inside until I see an urn with the name "Gloria Martinez" written on the side of it.

  Decided to wait a bit for him, so I just sat on the couch. Was wearing my Hell Cat stuff, but that was beneath the trench coat, didn't want any unknowns seeing me walk into his place, making him a target for anyone else. Keeping my heme in my backpack as well to also hide any unneeded attention. So far I sat in there for about an hour, until I heard something in the other room and then suddenly there was someone next to me.

David: Sorry to keep you waiting.

Y/N: THE FUCK!?!

  I look at David and notice his new implant on his back, being a little curious, I actually scanned the tech and was amazed.