Chapter 3

Augustus escorted us to our table and served us. I'd known him for a time; he was my age, the son of a friend of my father's. His brown hair was wild as usual, and his matching grey eyes glowed when he saw Larissa with me. He's been worrying about me since Sonia, the bitch of the Hell world, cheated on me.

"Ella es tu nueva novia?" (Is this your new girlfriend?) he questioned, teasing me, knowing that I couldn't speak Spanish if my life depended on it, but he mocked me every time.

"Augustus, you are fully aware that I am unable to speak-" I began.

"Yo no soy su nueva novia." (No, I am not his new girlfriend.) Larissa responded eloquently; her accent nearly identical to Augustus.

Augustus, impressed, diverted his gaze from me. I simply shrugged.

"El es bien devil ah?" (Wonderful girl, fine girl, indeed.) He talked to me again; it took a moment for me to recognize the language as Italian.

"Smetta di parlare le lingue comunitarie lui, non lo capisce," (Stop speaking different European languages with him, he doesn't understand them) Larissa responded in fluent Italian once again. Holy! How many languages could this girl speak?!

"Vous savez le français aussi, mademoiselle? (You know French too?)" Augustus said, in what I indicated as French.

"Mais oui! Você sabe o português bem? (Of course! Do you know Portuguese well?)" Larissa said, her accent a blend of French and Portuguese.

Augustus replied with a small bow, "Multilingual certamente, você tem meu respeito. (Multilingual indeed, you have my respect.)"

"Hello?! Time to include lousy English knowing Blake?" I asked, annoyed by her knowledge of so many languages.

"Él es algo dévil, aye? (He is rather dim, aye?)" she said, her eyes gleaming with wickedness.

"Él tiene sus pros. (He has his advantages.)"

"You two aren't the only people in the world, right?" I attempted to gain their attention, but they ignored me. They completely disregarded me. They are really bold!

"De verdad? Él apenas parece tan lleno de él! (Really? He simply appears to be overflowing with it!)"

"Familiarícese con lo major, él no es realmente que mucho de un tirón después de conocerle por tres años. (Get to know him better; he's not really that much of a jerk after three years.)"

"Usted le ha conocido por tres años? Está usted dos relacionados? (Has he known you for three years? Are you two related?)"

Augustus laughed.

"Usted es una señora muy fina de hecho... No muchas muchachas estas día pueden dominar cinco diversas idiomas... (You are a really lovely lady indeed... Not many ladies nowadays can master five different languages.)"