Chapter 25

The Zachbots seemed to be going haywire. "I have a bad feeling," said Martin.

"Let's split up," suggested Chris. "We need to find Zach and warn him – if it's not too late."

Martin reluctantly agreed. He did not want to be separated from Chris again. But his little brother was right. They would cover more ground separately.

It didn't take long. Flapping his wings, Chris arced over a village of thatched huts where men stood in a circle around the perimeter with rifles - and in the open something was covered with a white sheet. He didn't need to look under it to figure out who it was.

Chris saw one of the men look at him. Before he had a chance to raise his gun for target practice, Chris flew back to the cover of the trees.

He didn't want to believe Zach was dead, despite the bad blood. But he had to. He didn't want to believe Aviva was a bride of the night, either. But nothing about this trip was normal.

Wait – night? That means Aviva had to go somewhere to rest during the day. And he had a feeling where.

TEMPLE

"I have the knife because we need to cut off the head." She held the knife out to Koki. "To stop her killing. It should be you."

Koki didn't move.

Annisa turned away and lifted the knife to Aviva's neck. "It should be you. But it doesn't have to be."

"You didn't answer my question."

"I answered. Sorry it was not the answer you wanted." Annisa paused. "I apologize for my bluntness. It's my nature."

Koki sagged. All the resistance went out of her. Annisa handed her the knife. She took it and walked to Avia, placing the knife on her neck. In all the movies, everything, the hero always made a personal sacrifice by killing their love interest if she went bad. But this wasn't a film, and Koki didn't feel like a hero. She held the knife in her right hand, and placed her hand on Aviva's left breast to anchor herself. But the pretty black girl paused.

"What are you waiting for?"

"How many times have you done this?"

"It never gets easier. But I've done it lots - " the cloaked woman realized her mistake too late.

Koki turned slowly. She still held the knife, but her focus was on Annisa. "What have you done, you bitch?" seethed Koki.

Annisa regarded her calmly. "I don't have to answer to you."

"My baby's still warm!." Koki took a swing, but suddenly Annisa wasn't there anymore. "Ooooof!" Someone shoved Koki from behind, hard. Somehow the woman had gotten behind her.

TO BE CONTINUED