Amusement, pt. 2

CW: 18+! Includes fluff, angst, unprotected & risky public sex, hint of hate/revenge sex...

ONE YEAR LATER

Maya

The fair was going to be different this year. I wasn't even sure I wanted to go. Maddie and Izzy were persistent though, and I reluctantly agreed, only because tradition was tradition and I would have had FOMO after seeing their Instagram pictures that would inevitably show up later that night.

Last year was the best year ever at the fair. The music, the food, the drinks, the fireworks, the sex. As I sat at my makeup vanity, I found myself staring out the windows at the blue sky, reminiscing on the time I spent with Bucky.

The good memories faded as a cloud covered the August sun and the anger returned to the surface. Fuck him.

Ha, the irony, I thought to myself.

After that amazing night at the fair, Bucky and I had gone to get those famous cookies to end the night at the fair. I had texted Maddie and Izzy to let them know, and they met us there with Steve, Sam, and Clint. Bucky and I had split a bucket of cookies and milk, and we'd all hung out until it was time for the fair to close. Then, we'd moved our little party over to Izzy's apartment which was only a few blocks from the fair.

Drinks flowed throughout the night, games were played, and plenty of making out had happened. Bucky and I ended up back at my place where we did everything but sleep. The next morning, we had met up with the rest of the crew, and together we all nursed our hangovers over breakfast. After that, the boys had said it was time to head out, leaving me in a state of limbo. What had the past 18 hours been to Bucky? Or me?

Bucky asked for my number, so I put it into his phone. He said he'd text me, kissed me one last time, and hopped into Clint's oversized Ford F250 King Cab Long Bed - Sam's words, not mine - and headed back to Clint's farm.

What more can you expect from men, boys rather, when they say the stupid, cliche shit they do? I waited for days, obsessively checking my phone for a text from Bucky. I never got one. I went through the five stages of grief, wondering what had happened. Apparently, I meant nothing to Bucky.

As I put on a pair of light wash jean shorts and a black tank crop top, I couldn't help but look at the dress I'd worn last year, stuffed in the back of my closet in one of my fits of rage. I laced up my dirty, white sneakers and grabbed my belt bag, ready to hit the fair. Maybe.

Maddie was downstairs when I exited my building. She had moved a few months ago to the building down the block and we would often meet outside one of our buildings and head to Target, get coffee, or go see Izzy.

She looked at me and reached her arms out. I took my sunglasses off my head and put them on my face quickly before hugging her. I had decided on minimal makeup since I figured I might tear up a few times today.

It felt silly. I had literally known Bucky for 18 hours, but we'd had such a connection. Not just a sexual connection, but a real connection. At least in my eyes.

Maddie let go of me and we headed down the road toward the park and ride near our apartments. She held my hand as we walked and it brought some comfort to me. I knew Maddie and Izzy would always have my back. When I'd asked them if they had gotten Steve, Sam, or Clint's numbers, they'd looked at me regretfully and said they hadn't. Why, I don't know... but we didn't have any information.

When we got to the fair, I took hold of Maddie's hand again. We were meeting Izzy outside the West End market area where we often would get deep fried mac & cheese bites and boozy slushies.