Summer

The next few days flew by like the wind.

All the while, Severus Snape tried to make sense of what his best friend- no, his ex-best friend, Lily Evans had told him the night after the worst failure in his life.

"You've chosen your way, and I've chosen mine."

Severus knew their friendship had strung at threadbare over the past four years, but he still hoped she remember the promise they made even before entering Hogwarts.

His remaining O.W.L. exams were answered half-heartedly; his mind barely processed the spells he had to do for the Defense against the Dark Arts practical and calculations for Arithmancy. Even his Ancient Runes drawings were comparable to a child's mindless scribbles.

He was still angry and eventually wondering over one thing, however.

When had it gone wrong? Was it really the word 'mudblood' that ended it all? Or the ultimate humiliation he suffered under the eyes of James Potter and Sirius Black? She kept nagging about him studying the Dark Arts but why couldn't she see how magic is all about intent? Did all Gryffindors really throw their common sense out of the window in favor of sticking up to their own?

Lily- no, Evans; it's Evans now- she was a Prefect too, yet why did she kept talking to Potter, ignoring the one in need of help? He thought he saw something but hadn't had the chance to review the memory in detail.

He decided to write home a week before the end of term so his mother could pick him up, having no interest in seeing the Evans family ever again.

On the journey back to King's Cross Station, Severus had locked himself in a compartment with the curtains drawn and a 'Don't Disturb' sign plastered on the doors for good measures. He read about memory spells in his Charms book and wondered if there was a better way to show a piece of evidence without relying on the Pensieve.

Of course, since he was also a spell crafter, he decided it would keep him busy enough over the incoming summer. Maybe he could find work at the big city as a librarian to find more information and other inspirations.

When the Hogwarts Express finally stopped, he exchanged his school robes for Muggle clothes and went out almost hurriedly in attempt to avoid the familiar redhead. Rushing innocuously through the barrier, his eyes lit up upon seeing his most trustworthy person in the world.

Standing near the exit was Eileen Snape, her sallow face was frowning as her eyes fell on him.

"'Ello, Ma," he mumbled when he reached her. She merely hummed and pulled out her wand before leaving the station with a crack. They reappeared behind their home in Spinner's End and walked around the pallid house, with her pulling out a rusty key to unlock the front door.

After taking off their shoes, Eileen dragged her son to the living room.

"You must have a reason for this," she queried with a raised eyebrow. Severus looked up for a fleeting second before turning his gaze to the fireplace, his feet rubbing themselves in slight discomfort.

The woman sighed. "Is it about that Evans girl?"

He remained quiet.

"A fight?"

He gulped rather audibly. "I- I... called her 'mudblood'."