Chapter 3

The neighborhood that Cricket and her family had moved into was a nice, quiet neighborhood. Still, Cricket absolutely refused to go talk to any of her neighbors, despite what her parents told her. Why?

Because as she was going into the house for the first time, she felt eyes on her. And when she turned to see who was looking at her, she saw none other than Mike's sister.

That pretty much ruined Cricket's perfect plan to not get involved and stay low and start all over again. All she could do at the moment was hope that she didn't have to interact too much with her new neighbor.

So, since it was the weekend and Cricket didn't have to start school until Thursday, she was hiding under the covers in her bed, her eyes squinted slightly.

She was just about to fall asleep when something fluttered in through her half-open window. Cricket sat up and looked down at it, confused.

It was a leaf. A strange, orange maple leaf that was now lying down on her floor. And it had writing on it.

Cricket walked over to the leaf and picked it up, squinting at it. It had writing on it, but it wasn't exactly clear and Cricket had no idea what it was written with. The writing was bright white, a color that Cricket had never seen in any ink pen. Still, she could see what it said.

'Beware the rumors, beware the forest.'

"What?" Cricket squinted at it, narrowing her eyes. "Huh?"

And then the leaf began to vibrate and Cricket panicked and threw it back out the window and it exploded into a cloud of glittering white dust and blew away.

"What?" Cricket repeated softly. "What did I just witness?"

She watched the dust blow in the wind, confused. And then she looked down and saw Michelle looking up at her from her doorstep. Cricket felt her face flush and recoiled, shutting her window and cupping her face with her palms. Maybe she was tired? They hadn't slept since they'd gotten there and it was the day after they'd arrived. They arrived at 9:00 at night. Cricket sighed and climbed into her bed, and eventually, she fell asleep.