Chapter 1 - The Legend of the Walk of Shame

The Walk of Shame. One of many tools of freshmen humiliation in the upperclassmen's arsenal of techniques. Unlike wedgies, swirlies, trash canning, and the long list of other common bullying dished out at Parkview Highschool, The walk of shame does not discriminate with social status. It seemed the freshmen jocks and popular kids are just as likely to fall victim as the nerds and losers. Sometimes at the hands of bullies, but often by older friends, or even older siblings seeking payback for one reason or another. To the upperclassmen, it was less about bullying, and more of a right of passage for freshmen boys. To the underclassmen, it just seemed like hell.

During the first few weeks of school, it would not be uncommon to see half a dozen or more ninth graders take the long walk every day at lunch. The route was always the same, diagonal from one end of the cafeteria, to the opposite door. Sometimes the victim would be pantsed, other times they would be stripped all the way to their underwear.

Legend has it that last year, a young football rookie named Troy Mason had to do "the walk" wearing only a diaper. Some say it was the result of a lost bet. Others say it was payback for hitting on a teammate's girlfriend. 

Despite the reasons, the atmosphere in the room was always the same. Once the terrified and embarrassed teen entered the cafeteria, the room erupted into cheers and cat calls. The students would begin drumming on the tables with their palms and fists, creating a dull bassy roar. To add a little more embarrassment, often the freshman would be instructed to wave at the crowd, or even blow them kisses. 

The deafening sounds. The five hundred plus pair of eyes on you. Although the walk of shame only took less than a minute to complete, It was not an experience that any participant soon forgot.