CHAPTER 1 ACT 1 THE MAN IN THE MIRROR

CHAPTER 1

ACT 1

THE MAN IN THE MIRROR

  Why do we love those created in our minds? We know it's an illusion because that's not who they are; the person we love didn't exist; it was all made up by what we thought them to be; we loved them not for who they are, but for who we imagined them to be.

Perhaps this is why Eloise can still see her, or at least the version that loves her. The real version doesn't love her; she never did and she is aware of this, but she refuses to let go of the 'love' she had shown her. But every now and again, she sees the real her, the one who killed her and destroyed her life.

She looks in the mirror and it stares back. The only difference between her and her reflection is the shadow behind her. The shadow she refers to as 'M,' a shadow who has accompanied her for....quite a while now. "When will you leave?" she asks, yet 'M' remains silent, making the atmosphere unnerving.

The silence is broken by a knock, "come in," she says, the door opens and a maid enters, "your majesty the king has called for a family meeting," Eloise simply nods, too exhausted, exhausted for what? I'm not sure either.

She is neither relieved nor delighted by her father's sudden request for a family gathering given that he would only be selecting an heir within the next week.

She contemplates speaking to the shadow to calm her nerves like she normally does as she looks at it once again.

-Do you know why he called a meeting?

No answer

-I'm worried

Again, no answer

-After almost ten years, I could finally establish whether my efforts were successful. I simply wish that I would soon be sitting on that throne.

The shadow does nothing except remain still.

'How insane am I to talk with something I know won't respond?' she thinks

-Is this what it's like to talk to a dead person?

"I would know If I actually visited my mother," she sighs, laughing as if she is not talking about her dead mother.

As she looks in the mirror, she notices her late mother's hand on her throat.

Shadows form around the mirror before she can react, preventing her from seeing anything else.

Eloise turns behind her and sees nothing, the shadow had vanished.

She gives a small smile, stands up, and walks to the door. Leaving the now shadowed mirror alone.